Amplification of an integrator and a differentiator

In summary, the conversation discusses the amplification of integrators and differentiators, with a focus on the terms Zf, Zin, j, and ω. It is mentioned that ω stands for the frequency of the signal, while Zf and Zin stand for impedance. The use of j in the equations indicates a complex value. The conversation also touches on the 90° lag of Vout compared to Vin and the relationship between frequency and amplification. Overall, the conversation reveals a curiosity and desire for understanding of these terms in the context of electronics.
SYoung

Homework Statement

The amplification of an integrator is:
A = Vout/Vin = -Zf/Zin = +j * 1/(ωRC)

The amplification of an differentiator is:
A = Vout/Vin = -Zf/Zin = -jωRC

Although, that's what my book says. Not that I doubt it..

But really, what do Zf, Zin, j, and ω stand for?
I can't find much about it.

The book only says the following:
ω = 1/(RC), but why? what does this mean?
and that Vout 90° lags (-j) at Vin, regardless the frequency.
Thus: A is (straight?) proportional with the increasing frequency, so increases with 6dB each octave/scale and with 20dB each decade/level.

But really, I have no idea what this actually means.

In the classes we didn't attend this to the matter and we don't have to know this for the upcoming exam. But I'm just curious ;)

Thanks in advance,
Young

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about what you understand and what you don't... Do you know what [tex]\omega[/tex] stands for? And [tex]j[/tex]? If you don't... what do you know?

jrlaguna said:
I'm not sure about what you understand and what you don't... Do you know what [tex]\omega[/tex] stands for? And [tex]j[/tex]? If you don't... what do you know?

SYoung said:
But really, what do Zf, Zin, j, and ω stand for?
I can't find much about it.

Well... nothing about these 4 terms, really.
We didn't attend this part of the integrators to the matter at all but I'm just curious about it! ^^

For ω, I understand what 1/RC means. But not where it comes from, what's behind it?
And [tex]j[/tex], 90°? Does this mean the real wavelenght is 1/2π earlier, where does this lag come from? And what has this to do with the amplification?
And Zf and Zin, what do the Zs stand for? Zener-final and Zener-initial? Is there any Unit in the SI-system for these?

So as you can see, I'm just guessing around.
What do these symbols stand for?

Hm... you need some background in electronics. Zf and Zin stand for the impedance, which is a complex value, hence the [tex]j=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]. And [tex]\omega[/tex] is the frequency of the oscillating signal. If all this confuses you, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance.

Okay I think, after reading reading that link you gave me, I've got a better understanding of it now. Not 100% clear, but I was just curious about it and I'm really tired. Just had prelims/exams (what do you call it again? :smile:) the last 2 weeks.

Anyways, Thanks a lot!

FAQ: Amplification of an integrator and a differentiator

What is an integrator and a differentiator?

An integrator is a circuit that performs mathematical integration, while a differentiator is a circuit that performs mathematical differentiation. Integration and differentiation are mathematical operations that involve finding the area under a curve and the slope of a curve, respectively.

What is the purpose of amplifying an integrator and a differentiator?

The purpose of amplifying an integrator and a differentiator is to increase the magnitude of the output signal. This can be useful in applications where a larger signal is needed for further processing or analysis.

What are the possible effects of amplifying an integrator and a differentiator?

Amplifying an integrator and a differentiator can have several effects, such as increasing the signal-to-noise ratio, improving the accuracy of the output signal, and increasing the bandwidth of the circuit.

What are some common applications of amplifying an integrator and a differentiator?

Amplifying an integrator and a differentiator can be used in various applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and instrumentation. It is also commonly used in audio and video equipment, as well as in scientific research and experimentation.

What are some important considerations when designing an amplifier for an integrator and a differentiator?

When designing an amplifier for an integrator and a differentiator, it is important to consider factors such as the desired gain, frequency response, and stability of the circuit. It is also important to choose appropriate components and carefully design the circuit to minimize noise and distortion.