Amplifier circuit for 1st year project using bjt's

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a 3 stage amplifier with a 2W rms to an 8ohm load, using only bjt's. The person mentions using DC biasing and a buffer stage with high input and low output impedance. However, the simulation is showing a gain of 3 instead of the desired 50 and the output signal is distorted. They are seeking advice and have been advised to check the DC and AC voltages for each stage.
prometheus82

Homework Statement

The question states that a 3 stage amplifier needs to be designed with a 2W rms to an 8ohm load. the amplifier must consist of a pre amp stage and a power stage. (using only bjt's)

Homework Equations

Up till now we have learned about small signal model, DC biasing, ac biasing. in terms of knowledge i am still in my early stages

The Attempt at a Solution

well i started off using dc biasing in each stage whilst keeping in mind that a buffer stage had to have a high input but low output impeadance, the gain stage was the other way around. for now in the design i left out anything to remove the crossover distortion since i wanted to get it working before adding any further complications. despite this there is still something wrong with the gain stage, the simulation is showing a gain of 3 instead of the 50 aimed for and the signal is looking more like a squarewave than a sine wave.
Any helpful points as to the approach one should take to designing this circuit is appreciated, since I'm still green when it comes to this i might have missed a crucial step. also the circuit presented is the last one i calculated, if someone can see what is wrong in it, please comment.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi prometheus82! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Those are remarkably large coupling capacitors you've chosen for stages 1 and 2!

For the first stage, you should be able to examine the voltage (DC and AC separately) and confirm that they are close to what you designed for. Then do the same for the second stage. There is no point in looking for subtle effects until you have confirmed that your DC levels are close to what you designed them to be.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Amplifier circuit for 1st year project using bjt's

1. What is a BJT and how does it work?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a type of semiconductor device commonly used in electronic circuits. It consists of three regions - the emitter, base, and collector - and works by controlling the flow of current between the emitter and collector regions using a small current at the base.

2. How does an amplifier circuit using BJT's work?

An amplifier circuit using BJT's works by using the transistor to amplify a weak input signal. The input signal is applied to the base region, causing a larger current to flow from the emitter to the collector. This amplified current can then be used to power a load or drive another circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a BJT in an amplifier circuit?

Some advantages of using a BJT in an amplifier circuit include high gain, low noise, and low cost. BJTs also have a wide range of operating frequencies and can handle large currents, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

4. What are the main components of an amplifier circuit using BJT's?

The main components of an amplifier circuit using BJT's are the transistor itself, resistors, capacitors, and a power supply. The resistors and capacitors are used to control the biasing and gain of the circuit, while the power supply provides the necessary voltage for the circuit to operate.

5. What are some common applications of an amplifier circuit using BJT's?

Amplifier circuits using BJT's are commonly used in audio amplifiers, radio frequency amplifiers, and power amplifiers. They are also used in a variety of electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and cell phones.