Amplifier gain in resonant RLC circuit

Meow12
Homework Statement
A resonant RLC circuit can be used as an amplifier for a certain band of frequencies around the resonant frequency. Consider a series RLC circuit as an audio band amplifier with an AC voltage source as the input, and the voltage across the 8.0 Ω resistor as the output. The amplifier should have a gain (=output/input) of 0.5 at 200Hz and 4000Hz. What is the required value of the inductor in Henry's? What is the required value of the capacitor in Farad's?
Relevant Equations
At resonance, ##\displaystyle\omega_0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}##
##\omega=2\pi f##
##\displaystyle A_V=\frac{V_{output}}{V_{input}}##
Amplifier gain ##A_V## is defined as the ratio of an amplifier's output voltage to its input voltage,
i.e. ##\displaystyle\frac{V_R}{V}=\frac{IR}{IZ}=\frac{R}{R}=0.5## at 200 Hz.

But this is absurd. Where have I gone wrong? Please nudge me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it!

##R/Z_1=0.5## at ##\omega=2\pi\cdot 200##

##R/Z_2=0.5## at ##\omega=2\pi\cdot 4000##

I have 2 equations and 2 unknowns L and C. (R is given.)

Hmm....solving those 2 equations is harder than I expected.

The first equation says that ##Z_1=R/0.5=2R## at ##\omega=400\pi## rad/s

##R^2+(X_L-X_C)^2=4R^2## at ##\omega=400\pi## rad/s

##(X_L-X_C)^2=3R^2=192## at ##\omega=400\pi## rad/s

##\displaystyle\left(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C}\right)^2=192## at ##\omega=400\pi## rad/s

##\displaystyle\left(400\pi L-\frac{1}{400\pi C}\right)^2=192##

##\displaystyle 400\pi L-\frac{1}{400\pi C}=\pm 13.856##

Similarly, from the second equation,

##\displaystyle 8000\pi L-\frac{1}{8000\pi C}=\pm 13.856##

But I can't decide which is + and which is -.

Please help!

So you get four answers ? All with positive ##\omega##?

[edit] :smile: I mean sensible ##L##, ##C## ?

Last edited:
##\displaystyle 8000\pi L-\frac{1}{8000\pi C}=\pm 13.856##

Let us multiply the above equation by 20. We get

##\displaystyle 160000\pi L-\frac{1}{400\pi C}=\pm 13.856\times 20## ----------- (1)

The other equation is

##\displaystyle 400\pi L-\frac{1}{400\pi C}=\pm 13.856## ----------- (2)

Subtracting equation (2) from (1), we get ##159600\pi L## on the left-hand side.

Note that since the left-hand side is positive, the right-hand side also must be positive. Thus we may pick the positive sign in equation (1). ##400\pi C## is going to be extremely small. So, ##\displaystyle\frac{1}{400\pi C}## is going to be extremely large--larger than ##400\pi L##. So, we pick the negative sign in equation (2).

##159600\pi L=13.856\times 20-(-13.856)=13.856\times 21##

##L=5.80E-4## H

Substituting this value of ##L## in one of our equations, we get ##C=5.46E-5## F

Both these values match the ones given by our prof. :)

Likes BvU
There is so much good stuff in this exercise, I can't help but add a few comments :smile:

The 'gain' expression for this circuit $$A_V = {R\over \sqrt{R^2 +\left (\omega L-{1\over \omega C}\right)^2}}$$simplifies to $$\begin{align*}
A_V &= \omega RC \quad &\text{for}\quad \omega << \omega_0 \\
A_V &= R/(\omega L) \quad &\text{for}\quad \omega >> \omega_0
\end{align*} $$as a plot of ##A## vs frequency shows (log-log plot so that approximations show up as straight lines; also: ##\omega_0 = \sqrt{\omega_2\omega_1} \Rightarrow f_0= 894 Hz##).

1707493114984.png

(Blue horizontal line for ##A_V = 0.5##)

In the exercise circuit, damping is considerable (##\omega_2-\omega_1 > \omega_0## -- I get ##\alpha = 7332\ (1167 \ {\sf\text{Hz}}), \ \zeta = 1.3 ) ## for the points where ##A={1\over 2}\sqrt 2##.

##\ ##

Likes berkeman

Related to Amplifier gain in resonant RLC circuit

1. What is amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit?

Amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit refers to the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage of the circuit at resonance. It indicates how much the input signal is amplified by the circuit at the resonant frequency.

2. How is amplifier gain calculated in a resonant RLC circuit?

Amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage at the resonant frequency. Mathematically, it is expressed as Gain = Vo/Vi, where Vo is the output voltage and Vi is the input voltage.

3. What factors affect the amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit?

The amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit is affected by the quality factor (Q factor) of the circuit, the resistance in the circuit, and the resonant frequency. Higher Q factor and lower resistance lead to higher amplifier gain, while changes in the resonant frequency can also impact the gain.

4. What is the significance of amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit?

The amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit is significant as it determines the amount of signal amplification that can be achieved at the resonant frequency. It helps in understanding the circuit's performance and efficiency in amplifying signals within a specific frequency range.

5. How can amplifier gain be optimized in a resonant RLC circuit?

Amplifier gain in a resonant RLC circuit can be optimized by carefully selecting the components of the circuit, such as the inductor, capacitor, and resistor, to achieve the desired Q factor and resonance frequency. Additionally, minimizing losses in the circuit and reducing external interference can also help improve the amplifier gain.