Amplitude for scalar-proca couplings

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of amplitude for an interaction between a scalar field, two identical spin 1 fields, and a constant. The dimension of the matrix element should be energy, which is consistent with the given equations. The assumption of the polarisation vectors is also discussed, with the conclusion that the probability should be zero if the spins are opposite and -1 if they are different.
c++guru
I'm trying to calculate the amplitude for an interaction between a scalar field $$\phi$$ and two identical spin 1 fields $$A_{\mu} \quad and \quad A^{\mu}$$ for the interaction $$\phi \longrightarrow A^{\mu} A_{\mu}$$
with the Lagrangian density $$L_{int} = -ik\phi A^{\mu} A_{\mu}$$ where k is a constant. My first thought is that the amplitude should evaluate to $$M = k\epsilon_{\mu}^{*}\epsilon^{\mu *}$$ where each of the epsilons has a particular spin. Thus, this would evaluate to -k if the two spins are equal and 0 if they are not equal. However, I would expect this to come out in terms of energy squared, but this is clearly not the case. Where am I erring?

Physics news on Phys.org
The dimension of the matrix element squared should be energy squared so the dimension of the matrix element should be energy. This is consistent with what you have.

Likes c++guru
Orodruin said:
The dimension of the matrix element squared should be energy squared so the dimension of the matrix element should be energy. This is consistent with what you have.

But -k is unit less. Am I wrong to thing that the two epsilons go to -1 if the spins are the same and 0 otherwise? Or is the -1 in units of energy?

No, ##k## is not unit-less. You can derive the unit of any constant in the Lagrangian on the basis that it has to have dimension energy^4 for the action to be dimensionless. Based on the kinetic terms, the scalar ##\phi## and the spin one fields ##A^\mu## both have dimension energy, which means that ##k## must have unit energy for the dimension of ##k\phi A^2## to be energy^4.

You should be able to check your assumption of the polarisations based on a particular representation of the polarisation vectors. For example, what happens if both epsilons are ##\epsilon^\mu = (0, 1, i , 0)^\mu/\sqrt{2}##.

Orodruin said:
No, ##k## is not unit-less. You can derive the unit of any constant in the Lagrangian on the basis that it has to have dimension energy^4 for the action to be dimensionless. Based on the kinetic terms, the scalar ##\phi## and the spin one fields ##A^\mu## both have dimension energy, which means that ##k## must have unit energy for the dimension of ##k\phi A^2## to be energy^4.

You should be able to check your assumption of the polarisations based on a particular representation of the polarisation vectors. For example, what happens if both epsilons are ##\epsilon^\mu = (0, 1, i , 0)^\mu/\sqrt{2}##.

Then $$\epsilon_{\mu}^{*}\epsilon^{\mu *}$$ evaluates to 0? The makes sense, the probability should be zero, since the spins must be opposite. So I guess it evaluates to -1 if the spins are different? If I make the other $$\epsilon_{\mu}^{*} = (0,1,-i,0)^{\mu}/\sqrt{2} $$ Then $$\epsilon_{\mu}^{*}\epsilon^{\mu *}$$ evaluates to $$-1 $$ indeed

Yes, notice that it will be different if you instead of the definite spin states chose to go with linear polarised spin vectors.

FAQ: Amplitude for scalar-proca couplings

What is amplitude for scalar-proca couplings?

Amplitude for scalar-proca couplings refers to the mathematical representation of the strength and direction of the interaction between a scalar field and a Proca field. It is used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a given interaction occurring.

How is amplitude for scalar-proca couplings calculated?

The amplitude for scalar-proca couplings is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the different ways in which particles can interact with each other. These diagrams are then translated into mathematical equations to determine the amplitude.

What is the significance of amplitude for scalar-proca couplings in physics?

Amplitude for scalar-proca couplings is important in understanding the fundamental forces in the universe, specifically the electromagnetic and weak forces. It is also used in the study of particle physics and the behavior of subatomic particles.

What are some real-world applications of amplitude for scalar-proca couplings?

Amplitude for scalar-proca couplings has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of particle accelerators and in the study of nuclear reactions. It is also used in the analysis of cosmological data to understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

Are there any current research developments related to amplitude for scalar-proca couplings?

Yes, there is ongoing research to better understand the properties of scalar and Proca fields and their interactions. This includes studying the effects of different types of particles on the amplitude and developing new techniques to calculate it more accurately.

Back