Amplitude of two carts attached by a spring

In summary: What does that tell you about the effective spring constant in relation to m's displacements?In summary, the conversation discusses coupled oscillators consisting of two carts with masses m and 2m connected by a massless spring with spring constant k. The carts are set into oscillation about their center-of-mass in Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM). The questions focus on the ratio of their oscillation amplitudes, the effective spring constant between each cart and their CM, and the frequency of each cart's SHM oscillation. To answer these questions, one must use equations such as F=ma=-kx and 1/2mv^2=1/2kA^2 and apply logic to determine the relationships between
frogs

Homework Statement

#1. [Coupled Oscillators] A cart of
mass m (car #1) and another cart of mass 2m (car #2) on a
horizontal surface are connected by an
ideal massless spring of spring constant k.
The two carts are set into oscillation about
their center-of-mass (CM) in Simple
Harmonic Motion (SHM).
(a) What is the ratio of their oscillation amplitudes A1/A2 ? Please explain your reasoning.
(b) If the CM remains at rest, what is the effective spring constant of the part of the spring (k1
and k2) between each cart and their CM in terms of k? Please give your reasoning.
(c) Let's check your answers to (b). When cart #2 moves a distance x to the right (→), how far
does cart #1 move to the left (←)? How much does the spring stretch? What is the effective
spring constant for each cart, i.e., the tension force it feels due to the spring divided by the
distance it has been displaced from its equilibrium position? Please show your calculations.
How do your findings compare with part (b)?
(d) What is the frequency of each cart's SHM oscillation? How should these frequencies
compare? Do they? Please show your calculations.
2. equations
a = -k/m • x
F = ma = -kx
1/2mv2 = 1/2kA2

although I am not sure if any of these will help

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]for part (a) i wrote that the ratio is 2:1 because since the center of mass is 2/3 from car #1 i did 2/3:1/3.

for part (b) i did a simpaler thing that k1=2/3k and k2=1/3k

for part (c) I am stuck but i feel that if if it went x to the right the #1 car would just follow but that doesn't make sense based on the next part of c

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b), you need some actual logic. What you have posted appears to be a wild guess.
In part a), you found the ratio of displacements. Suppose mass 2m is displaced x relative to mass centre. What is the total extension of the spring? What is the tension in the spring? What does that tell you about the effective spring constant in relation to 2m's displacements?

FAQ: Amplitude of two carts attached by a spring

1. What is the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring?

The amplitude of two carts attached by a spring refers to the maximum displacement of the carts from their equilibrium position while they are oscillating back and forth. It is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

2. How is the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring affected by the mass of the carts?

The amplitude of two carts attached by a spring is directly proportional to the mass of the carts. This means that as the mass of the carts increases, the amplitude also increases. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. Does the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring change with the strength of the spring?

Yes, the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring is affected by the strength of the spring. A stronger spring will produce a larger amplitude, while a weaker spring will produce a smaller amplitude. This is because the strength of the spring determines how much force it can exert on the carts and therefore, how far they can be displaced.

4. Can the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring be changed?

Yes, the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring can be changed by altering the mass of the carts or the strength of the spring. By increasing or decreasing the mass of the carts or adjusting the tension in the spring, the amplitude can be manipulated.

5. How does the amplitude of two carts attached by a spring relate to the frequency of oscillation?

The amplitude of two carts attached by a spring is independent of the frequency of oscillation. This means that the amplitude remains the same regardless of how fast or slow the carts are oscillating. However, a higher frequency of oscillation will result in more oscillations per unit time, which may make it appear as though the amplitude is changing more rapidly.