Amy's question at Yahoo Answers (Orthogonal complex subspace)

In summary, the question is asking to find an orthonormal basis for the orthogonal complement of the subspace W, which is spanned by (1, i, 1-i) and (i, -1, 0) in a complex vector space of dimension 3. Using the inner product and solving a system of equations, we can find a non-zero solution which will serve as a basis for W perp. Then, by normalizing this solution, we can obtain an orthonormal basis for W perp.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Consider the subspace W = span{(1, i, 1-i),(i, -1, 0)} of C3.

Find an orthonormal basis for W perp. (orthogonal complement)

I usually know how to do this but the field is throwing me off. any help explaining please!

Here is a link to the question:

Orthogonal basis? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Amy,

Using the inner product $$\left<(x_1,x_2,x_3),(y_1, y_2, y_3)\right>=x_1\overline{y_1}+x_2\overline{y_2}+x_3\overline{y_3}$$ we get $$(x_1,x_2,x_3)\in W^{\perp}\Leftrightarrow \left \{ \begin{matrix} \left<(x_1,x_2,x_3),(1, i, 1-i)\right>=0\\\left<(x_1,x_2,x_3),(i, -1, 0)\right>=0\end{matrix}\right.\Leftrightarrow\left \{ \begin{matrix} x_1-ix_2+(1+i)x_3=0\\-ix_1-x_2=0\end{matrix}\right.$$
As $\dim W^{\perp}=\dim \mathbb{C}^3-\dim W=3-2=1$, a non zero solution $v$ of the system is a basis for $W^{\perp}$. Choose for example $x_1=1$ and you'll easily find $x_2$ an $x_3$. Then, an orthonormal basis for $W^{\perp}$ is $B=\left\{\dfrac{v}{ \left\|{v}\right\|}\right\}$ .

Related to Amy's question at Yahoo Answers (Orthogonal complex subspace)

1. What is an orthogonal complex subspace?

An orthogonal complex subspace is a subset of a vector space that is both orthogonal and complex. This means that all vectors in the subspace are perpendicular to each other and have complex coefficients.

2. How is an orthogonal complex subspace different from a regular subspace?

An orthogonal complex subspace is different from a regular subspace in two main ways. First, all vectors in an orthogonal complex subspace are perpendicular to each other, whereas in a regular subspace, this is not necessarily true. Second, the coefficients of the vectors in an orthogonal complex subspace are complex numbers, while in a regular subspace, they are real numbers.

3. What is the significance of using orthogonal complex subspaces in mathematics?

Orthogonal complex subspaces are important in mathematics because they allow for a more general and efficient way of representing and analyzing complex systems. They also have applications in various fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and data compression.

4. How do you determine if a subspace is orthogonal and complex?

To determine if a subspace is orthogonal and complex, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves finding an orthogonal basis for the subspace and then checking if the coefficients of the basis vectors are complex numbers.

5. Can orthogonal complex subspaces exist in any vector space?

No, orthogonal complex subspaces can only exist in vector spaces that have an inner product defined on them. This is because the concept of orthogonality relies on the existence of an inner product. Therefore, not all vector spaces can have orthogonal complex subspaces.