An arrow vane claim (fletchings as airfoils)

• B
  • Thread starter southshorerat
  • Start date
In summary, the vane design of an arrow can produce lift and the arrow can spin fast enough to produce gyroscopic precession. This allows for efficient conversion of forward velocity into spin, reducing drag and increasing distance and speed of the arrow.
southshorerat
TL;DR Summary
There is a manufacture in archery industry that claims the vane is an air foil design
He also claims the vane design creates lift which I accept

My problem is he also says the vane will cause the arrow to spin 200 time within 60ft of flight

How can something spinning efficiently use lift produced by the vane

He claims the arrow develops a gyro effect

Physics news on Phys.org
southshorerat said:
How can something spinning efficiently use lift produced by the vane
Without claiming any authority on the subject at all, I don't see why this is a problem - at least in principle.
It's not like an airplane's wings producing lift symmetrically and normal to the ground on both sides of its fuselage.

If the vanes of an arrow were to produce "lift", it would more accurately be called spin - they would all work in the same direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) around the axis, which would impart the rotational stability - like a gyro.

1614120140259.png

A wind turbine is driven to spin because all the blades develop lift, and are twisted in the same sense.
An arrow spins because the vanes are mounted slightly diagonally. It is more efficient to develop the rotational lift with an airfoil than with a flat plate. By more efficiently converting the forward velocity into spin, the arrow has less drag and so will travel slightly further and faster.

Screenshot_20210307-143227_Chrome.jpg

Disregard my last post it did not load correctly

Please refer to the portion of this PDF concerning arrowflight 101

Do the theories concerning circular lift and gyroscopic precession hold true

southshorerat said:
Please refer to the portion of this PDF concerning arrowflight 101

Do the theories concerning circular lift and gyroscopic precession hold true
Sorry, you want us to read a page from a PDF product ad that you posted, and tell you whether or not all or part of it is true?

No I provided information so you could understand my original questions and apply physics to two questions

1 Can a vane that has an airfoil design produce lift

2 Can an arrow spin fast enough to produce gyroscopic precession

Yes and yes.

FAQ: An arrow vane claim (fletchings as airfoils)

1. What is an arrow vane claim?

An arrow vane claim refers to the idea that the fletchings, or small feathers or plastic fins, on an arrow act as airfoils to improve the flight and accuracy of the arrow.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support this claim?

Yes, there have been several studies and experiments conducted by scientists and archery experts that have shown that fletchings do indeed act as airfoils and can improve the flight of an arrow.

3. How do fletchings act as airfoils?

Fletchings are designed with a curved shape and angled orientation, which creates a difference in air pressure above and below the arrow as it flies. This difference in pressure creates lift, similar to how an airplane wing works, and helps stabilize the arrow's flight.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the effectiveness of fletchings as airfoils?

Yes, the weight and placement of the fletchings on the arrow, as well as the speed and angle of the arrow's release, can also impact the effectiveness of fletchings as airfoils.

5. Are there any alternatives to using fletchings as airfoils?

Yes, some archers choose to use vanes, which are plastic or rubber fins, instead of traditional feathers as fletchings. Vanes can also act as airfoils and may have different advantages or disadvantages compared to feathers.