An Erect Man Falls Into Water from a Platform

In summary, a 78kg man jumps off a 2.6m high diving platform and comes to rest 1.7s after reaching the water. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To find the force exerted by the water, the formula for Newton's Second Law is used. The correct formula is F= (deltaP)/(deltaT), and the initial and final velocities can be found using the distance fallen and the acceleration of gravity. The formula mgh= 0.5mv^2 can also be used to find the initial velocity. The final answer for the force exerted by the water on the man is 327.536 N.
Destructo_Dav

Homework Statement

A 78kg man, standing erect, steps off a 2.6m high diving platform and begins to fall from rest. The man comes to rest 1.7s after reaching the water.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

What average force did the water exert on him?

Answer: 1091.94 N

Homework Equations

F= (deltaP)/(deltaT)
2x=gt^2
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The first mistake I made was using 1.7s as the time until the man hit the water to find the velocity at the moment before the man hits the water (v = 2.6/1.7), but this got me no where.

I think I need to find the time between when the man jumps and after he falls 2.6m later. I don't know of a way to dervie velocity from only having the distance one falls and the acceleration of gravity. Once I do find that I think I can get the initial velocity and the final velocity, and then I can use the momentum equation to find out the average force exerted. The answer was given to me, but I need to know and understand the process to get it for the test. Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
At a height of 2.6m, a man of mass 78 kg will have how much gravitational pe? Right before he hits the water, all this energy is converted into kinetic energy. So his velocity before he hits the water is?

The velocity I found was 7.1386.

Then I set mgh = .5mv^2

78*9.8*2.6 = .5*78*v^2

I found that by v=sqrt(2gh)

Then I used final momentum is equal to initial momentum + (Fnet)(deltaT)

I got 0 = 556.8108 + 1.7Fnet

Fnet = 327.536 N

Where do I go wrong?

How else can the formula for Newton's Second Law be formulated as opposed to the change in momentum divided by the change in time?

Edit: What I meant was what is the form of the formula most known to people?

Last edited:
Destructo_Dav said:
Fnet = 327.536 N

Where do I go wrong?
You found the net force, but the question asks for the force due to the water. They are different.

FAQ: An Erect Man Falls Into Water from a Platform

1. What is the scientific explanation for why an erect man falls into water from a platform?

The scientific explanation for why an erect man falls into water from a platform is due to the force of gravity. When an object is released from a higher position, it will fall towards the ground due to the Earth's gravitational pull.

2. How does the height of the platform affect the fall?

The height of the platform directly affects the speed at which the man falls. The higher the platform, the longer the man will fall and the faster he will reach the water due to the acceleration of gravity.

3. What factors influence the impact of the fall on the man's body?

The impact of the fall on the man's body is influenced by several factors including the height of the platform, the speed at which he falls, the angle at which he hits the water, and the surface tension of the water.

4. Is the impact of the fall affected by the man's body position?

Yes, the man's body position can affect the impact of the fall. If he falls straight down with his feet first, the impact will be more evenly distributed throughout his body. However, if he falls at an angle or in a belly flop position, the impact will be concentrated in certain areas, potentially causing more injury.

5. Can the man survive the fall into the water?

It depends on various factors such as the height of the platform, the angle at which he hits the water, and the surface tension of the water. If the height is not too great and the man enters the water in a feet-first position, he may be able to survive the fall. However, a fall from a significant height or at an awkward angle can result in serious injury or even death.

Back