An extremely Novice energy question

• Thread starter khz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, The mass of both atomic states is equal, but the form of the former state (before consumption) gives the mass more energy potential than the latter state. This is called "mass deficit" and is slightly less in the less energetic state. While this can be measured for nuclear reactions using high resolution FTICR mass spectrometers, it is too small to measure for chemical reactions using current technology.
khz
I'm sure this has been thoroughly answered, so I'm sorry.
So, you have e=mc2, yet when you have food (or anything) before consumption and after consumption, the mass of both atomic states is equal, yet the form of the former state (before consumption) gives the mass more energy potential than the latter state.
?

Physics news on Phys.org
khz said:
the mass of both atomic states is equal
Actually, the mass is slightly less in the less energetic state. This is called "mass deficit". The difference is very small for chemical reactions.

oh wow thanks. Are you aware if this effect has been measured?

Yes, for nuclear reactions. To my knowledge it is too small to measure for chemical reactions.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, for nuclear reactions. To my knowledge it is too small to measure for chemical reactions.

Actually, very high resolution Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance (FTICR) mass spectrometers can already reproducibly measure mass differences that are significantly smaller than the electron mass. I have seen at least one experiment proposed to measure the "electronic mass defect" associated with a chemical reaction, however I think the technology was still not quite adequate to the task.

Related to An extremely Novice energy question

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many forms, such as light, heat, electricity, and motion. Everything in the universe requires energy in order to function.

2. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced in various ways, such as burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, or harnessing renewable sources such as wind and solar power. The specific method of energy production depends on the type of energy being produced.

3. What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable energy?

Renewable energy sources can be replenished naturally and are not depleted with use, such as wind or solar power. Non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, cannot be replenished and will eventually run out.

4. How does energy impact the environment?

The production and consumption of energy can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. Fossil fuels, for example, release greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. However, renewable energy sources have a lower impact on the environment and can help reduce pollution and carbon emissions.

5. How can individuals reduce their energy consumption?

There are many ways individuals can reduce their energy consumption, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and choosing renewable energy sources. Small changes can make a big impact in reducing energy usage and helping the environment.