An integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the inverse Fourier transform of two functions in a physics problem. The integral representation of the Dirac delta function is suggested as a possible approach, or alternatively using a convergence factor and taking a limit. The solution is found to be f(x-ct)+f(x+ct) instead of the delta function.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For a physics problem I must take the inverse Fourier transform of 2 functions.
Namely I must compute the integral ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty} ^\infty [A\cos (ckt)+B\sin (ckt)]e^{ikx}dk##.

Homework Equations

Already given.
i is the complex number. t is greater or equal to 0. In fact it could also be negative, there should be no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to tackle ##\int _{-\infty} ^\infty \cos (ckt)e^{ikx}dk## first but ran out of ideas.
Integration by parts does not look promising. Probably some substitution I guess but I don't see it. Any tip would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look into the integral representation of the Dirac delta function.

vela said:
Look into the integral representation of the Dirac delta function.

Hi and thanks for the tip vela. I have it under the eyes (http://dlmf.nist.gov/1.17), but I don't see how this can help.
Edit: I rewrote ##A\cos (ckt)+B\sin (ckt)## as ##Ae^{ickt}+Be^{-ickt}## which makes the integral diverge.

Last edited:
The integrals don't converge in the normal sense, but you can use 1.17.12 to recognize the appearance of the delta function.

If you don't find that approach satisfying, you can try throwing in a convergence factor and then taking a limit:
$$\lim_{\lambda \to 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \cos (ckt) e^{ikx} e^{-\lambda |k|}\,dk$$ You have to be a bit careful when taking the limit so that you end up with the delta functions.

Thanks a lot! It does satisfy me. So the answer would be ##A\delta (ct+x)+B\delta (ct-x)## where A and B are not necessarily the constants I started with.
I hope it's right.

I just found out the solution to the problem. Apparently A and B depend on k (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WaveEquation1-Dimensional.html), I missed this. The answer should be f(x-ct)+f(x+ct) instead of the delta. f could be any function twice differentiable I think, thus the delta is a possibility.
P.S.:I made a typo in my previous post. The argument of the second delta should be "x-ct".

Related to An integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform

1. What is an integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform?

An integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform is a mathematical expression used to find the original function from its Fourier transform. It is an important tool in signal processing, image processing, and other fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the inverse Fourier transform related to the Fourier transform?

The inverse Fourier transform is the reverse process of the Fourier transform. It takes a function in the frequency domain and calculates the original function in the time or spatial domain.

3. What is the formula for the integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform?

The formula for the integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform is:

f(x) = 1/(2π) ∫-∞ F(ω)eiωx

where f(x) is the original function, F(ω) is its Fourier transform, and ω is the frequency variable.

4. Are there any properties or theorems associated with the integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform?

Yes, there are several properties and theorems associated with this integral, such as the linearity property, time-shifting property, frequency-shifting property, convolution theorem, and Parseval's theorem. These properties and theorems are useful for solving problems in signal and image processing.

5. How is the integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform used in real-world applications?

The integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including audio and image compression, filtering, and noise reduction. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, medical imaging, and telecommunications to analyze and process data in the frequency domain.