An Integral with a Fraction and e

In summary, the integral $\displaystyle \int_{}^{} \frac{1}{e^x + e^{-x}}\,dx$ can be simplified using the substitution $u=\sinh{(x)}$ and then using trig substitution to solve for the integral.
tmt1
$$ \int_{}^{} \frac{1}{ e^x + {e}^{-x}}\,dx $$

I have this integral, and I'm not sure how to approach it. I tried u-substitution with $u = e^x + {e} ^{-x}$, but that seemed to go to a dead end. I'm not sure how to apply partial fractions to this problem. Is there a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tmt,

I would try multiplying by \(\displaystyle \frac{e^x}{e^x}\) and then using the substitution $u=e^x$. That should get it into a form where you can use trig substitution to solve. :)

Alternatively, since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cosh{(x)} = \frac{1}{2}\,\left( \mathrm{e}^x + \mathrm{e}^{-x} \right) \end{align*}$ that means the integral is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{\frac{1}{\mathrm{e}^x + \mathrm{e}^{-x}}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ \frac{1}{2\cosh{(x)}}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \int{ \frac{\cosh{(x)}}{2\cosh^2{(x)}}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int{ \frac{\cosh{(x)}}{1 + \sinh^2{(x)}}\,\mathrm{d}x} \end{align*}$

You can now substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sinh{(x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \cosh{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$.

Related to An Integral with a Fraction and e

1. What is an integral with a fraction and e?

An integral with a fraction and e is a mathematical expression that involves the integration of a function with a fraction of polynomial functions and the exponential function e^x.

2. How do I solve an integral with a fraction and e?

To solve an integral with a fraction and e, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions, depending on the complexity of the integral.

3. What is the purpose of using e in an integral with a fraction?

The exponential function e^x often appears in integrals because it is the natural base of the logarithm and has several useful properties that make integration easier.

4. Can an integral with a fraction and e have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral with a fraction and e can have multiple solutions. This is because there are different techniques that can be used to solve the integral, and each technique may yield a different solution.

5. Are there any special cases for solving an integral with a fraction and e?

Yes, there are some special cases for solving an integral with a fraction and e, such as when the fraction in the integral can be simplified or when the exponential function can be rewritten in a simpler form.