An urban highway has a speed limit of 50 km/ h

In summary, the urban highway has a speed limit of 50 km/h and in order to find the mean, a $z$-score of approximately 0.53 is used. To find the mean, the formula $\mu=x-z\sigma$ is used, resulting in a mean speed of approximately 44.8 km/h. In order to determine the effectiveness of a campaign to reduce speed, a null hypothesis ($H_1$) is set that the mean speed is less than 44.8 km/h. The corresponding test statistic is calculated using the formula $z=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu_0}{\sigma/\sqrt{n}}$, and if the resulting z-score is less than the critical z-score
karush
Gold Member
MHB
IBP9 An urban highway has a speed limit of 50 km/ h

View attachment 1217

(a) assume the $km\ h^{-1}$ means $\displaystyle\frac{km}{h}$

$30\%$ on Z-table is $\approx 0.53$

so using $\displaystyle\frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}=Z$ then $\displaystyle\frac{50-44.8}{10}=0.53$

(b) (c) (d) to come

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You want to find the $z$-score associated with an area of 0.2, because you want 70% of the data to the left of your $x$ value and 30% to the right. Using a table and interpolating a bit, we find this $z$-score is about 0.525 (Okay, we have different style tables; when I saw you approaching your table with 30%, I thought you were not understanding correctly what to do). :D

W|A returns a $z$-score of $z\approx0.524401$.

We know the data value associated with this $z$-score is 50 (the speed limit), and so to find the mean:

\(\displaystyle \mu=x-z\sigma\approx50-5.24401=44.75599\approx44.8\)

MarkFL said:
W|A returns a $z$-score of $z\approx0.524401$.

\(\displaystyle \mu=x-z\sigma\approx50-5.24401=44.75599\approx44.8\)

not sure how to use W|A to get this

erf(z/sqrt(2))=2(0.4) was a previous example but is the input for this problem?

also (b) (c) and (d) somewhat clueless on these.:confused:

karush said:
not sure how to use W|A to get this

erf(z/sqrt(2))=2(0.4) was a previous example but is the input for this problem?

also (b) (c) and (d) somewhat clueless on these.:confused:

In this case use:

erf(z/sqrt(2))=2(0.2)

It's been 20 years since I took statistics, and to be honest, I have forgotten about the null hypothesis, but I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable about this. :D

Re: IBP9 An urban highway has a speed limit of 50 km/ h

karush said:
View attachment 1217

(a) assume the $km\ h^{-1}$ means $\displaystyle\frac{km}{h}$

$30\%$ on Z-table is $\approx 0.53$

so using $\displaystyle\frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}=Z$ then $\displaystyle\frac{50-44.8}{10}=0.53$

(b) (c) (d) to come

I'll just show the method in this case.

(b) $H_1$: the mean speed after the campaign is less than $\mu_0 = 44.8\text{ km/h}$.

(c) This is one-tailed because the police is only interested in "less than".

(d) The corresponding test statistic is:
$$z = \frac {\bar x - \mu_0} {\sigma / \sqrt n} = \frac {41.3 - 44.8} {10 / \sqrt{25}}$$

If this z-score is less than the critical z-score corresponding to 5% probability, we can conclude that the campaign has been effective.

Can you finish (d)?

I'll try

from $\displaystyle z = \frac {\bar x - \mu_0} {\sigma / \sqrt n} =
\frac {41.3 - 44.8} {10 / \sqrt{25}}=-1.75$

which from $0$ to $Z$ is $4\%$ this is less than the $5\%$ required for an effective campaign
so it was effective.(Wasntme)

Good! :)

Related to An urban highway has a speed limit of 50 km/ h

1. What is the purpose of setting a speed limit on an urban highway?

The purpose of setting a speed limit on an urban highway is to ensure the safety of both drivers and pedestrians. By limiting the speed of vehicles, it reduces the likelihood of accidents and allows for better traffic flow.

2. How is the speed limit on an urban highway determined?

The speed limit on an urban highway is determined by a variety of factors, including the type of road, the surrounding area, and the speed at which drivers can safely navigate the road. It is typically set by traffic engineers after conducting studies and assessments.

3. What are the consequences for driving above the speed limit on an urban highway?

The consequences for driving above the speed limit on an urban highway can vary depending on the jurisdiction, but often include fines, points on your license, and potential license suspension. It can also increase the risk of accidents and harm to yourself and others.

4. Can the speed limit on an urban highway be changed?

Yes, the speed limit on an urban highway can be changed. This may occur if there is a change in the road conditions or if studies show that a different speed limit would be more appropriate for the area. Changes to speed limits are typically determined and implemented by the local government or transportation department.

5. What can I do if I believe the speed limit on an urban highway is too low or too high?

If you believe the speed limit on an urban highway is too low or too high, you can contact your local government or transportation department to express your concerns. They may consider conducting studies or reassessing the speed limit based on your feedback. It is important to follow the posted speed limit, however, until any changes are officially made.