Anaerobic Respiration Related Question

• Thread starter Garret
  • Start date
In summary, anaerobic respiration involves only glycolysis followed by the conversion of pyruvic acid to either ethanol or lactic acid. In the case of using ribose as a carbon source, fermentation does not occur. Therefore, in the scenario described, only the glucose test tube would produce ethanol and carbon dioxide.
Garret
Hello,

I’m new here and I have a few questions about anaerobic respiration.

Recently in Biology class we went over glycolysis using the fuel molecule glucose to understand and grasp what is happening in each stage. Generally after glycolysis is complete with glucose there is pyruvic acid, which goes into Krebs cycle, etc. But in anaerobic respiration it only goes through glycolysis and then pyruvic acid goes directly to forming in some cases ethanol or lactic acid, etc. This interested me and this is the basis of my question. Say for example we have 2 fermentation test tubes with yeast cultures. One of the test tubes contains the monosaccharide glucose and the second test tube contains another monosaccharide ribose.

Would both test tubes create ethanol and carbon dioxide?

Thanks,
Garret

Biology news on Phys.org
Ribose is usally not used as a carbon source. Ribose is mainly utilized by organism in the biosynthesis of nucleic acid precursors and nucleotide coenzymes. However, ribose can be used to produce glycose but the metabolism is slow. Also when grown in the presence of ribose, fermentation does not occur.

To answer your question, only the glucose will produce ethanol and carbon dioxide.

Hello Garret,

Thank you for your question about anaerobic respiration. It's great that you are curious about this topic and are asking questions to deepen your understanding.

To answer your question, yes, both test tubes would create ethanol and carbon dioxide. This is because both glucose and ribose can undergo fermentation by yeast, leading to the production of ethanol and carbon dioxide. However, the rate of fermentation and the amount of ethanol produced may differ between the two test tubes, as different sugars can be broken down at different rates by the yeast.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of anaerobic respiration. Keep asking questions and exploring the fascinating world of biology!

FAQ: Anaerobic Respiration Related Question

1. What is anaerobic respiration?

Anaerobic respiration is a metabolic process that occurs in the absence of oxygen. It involves breaking down glucose into energy without the use of oxygen.

2. How is anaerobic respiration different from aerobic respiration?

Aerobic respiration requires oxygen, while anaerobic respiration does not. Aerobic respiration produces more energy and is more efficient, while anaerobic respiration produces less energy and is less efficient.

3. What organisms use anaerobic respiration?

Many microorganisms and some plants and animals use anaerobic respiration as their primary source of energy. This includes bacteria, yeast, and some types of fungi.

4. What are the products of anaerobic respiration?

The products of anaerobic respiration vary depending on the specific type of anaerobic respiration. In general, the main products are a small amount of ATP (energy), carbon dioxide, and either ethanol or lactic acid.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of anaerobic respiration?

The advantage of anaerobic respiration is that it allows organisms to produce energy in the absence of oxygen. However, the amount of energy produced is less than in aerobic respiration, and the byproducts can be toxic in high concentrations. Additionally, anaerobic respiration is not sustainable for long periods of time and can lead to fatigue and muscle soreness in organisms that rely on it for energy.