Analog Computer Lab: Building a Feedback System

In summary, the conversation is about a student in electrical engineering who is working on a project to build an analog computer that solves 2nd order differential equations. The student is seeking clarification on how to add a feedback circuit to the system and has already completed the first week of the project successfully. The summary also mentions the use of a summer op-amp and adjusting the gain to ensure a stable solution.
mohlam12
Hello everyone,

I hesitated to post in this section because I couldn't determine if it was more appropriate to post it in the electrical engineering section or in the homework one. Since this is a relatively simple project and counts as homework, I posted it here. However if I am posting in the wrong section I apologize in advance to the mod team.

I am currently a student in electrical engineering, sophomore. The project is to make an analog computer that solves 2nd order differential equations, with a feedback system.

For the 1st week, we had to build the system in multisim and run the simulation (for pre-experiment report) then make some simple measurements like Vmax and settling time.

I managed the first week to design and run simulation (please refer to attachment) of the system, as well as build it on the breadboard and check the output on the oscilloscope.

Now, for the 2nd week, we are asked to add a feedback circuit to the system. Here, I wasn't quite sure about what to do. Following the diagram, and from what I understood, I need a summer op-amp that will sum the amplified integrated output, with the step function source, to be the new input to the system ?

Well, if someone could please tell me if my assumptions are right, and if so, if the circuit is right.

Thank you !

Attachments

• week2.png
    week2.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 420
  • week1.png
    week1.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 2011_circuit_theory1_project (3).doc
    126.5 KB · Views: 236
Physics news on Phys.org
</code>You are on the right track with your assumptions. The feedback circuit you are describing is a common configuration for solving second order differential equations. The summer op-amp will take the amplified integrated output from the system and add it to the step function source, which will be the new input to the system. You will need to adjust the gain of the summer op-amp so that the system can converge to a stable solution. This can be done by adjusting the resistors in the summer op-amp circuit.Once you have the circuit set up and the gain adjusted, you can run simulations or measure the output using an oscilloscope to make sure that the system is working correctly.Good luck with your project!

FAQ: Analog Computer Lab: Building a Feedback System

1. What is an analog computer?

An analog computer is a type of computer that uses continuously variable physical quantities, such as electrical voltages or mechanical movements, to represent data and perform calculations. It operates on analog signals rather than digital signals, which are used in modern computers.

2. What is a feedback system?

A feedback system is a control system in which the output of a process is used to make adjustments to the input in order to achieve a desired result. It involves measuring the output of a system and providing this information as input to the system, allowing for self-correction and improvement.

3. Why is it important to build a feedback system in an analog computer lab?

Building a feedback system allows for precise control and adjustment of analog variables, which is especially important in scientific experiments and research. It also allows for the study and analysis of complex systems and their behaviors.

4. What components are typically needed to build a feedback system in an analog computer lab?

The components needed for a feedback system in an analog computer lab include sensors to measure the output, a comparator to compare the output to a desired value, an amplifier to amplify the signal, and an actuator to adjust the input to the system. Additional components may be needed depending on the specific application.

5. How can a feedback system be used in real-world applications?

Feedback systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and economics. They are used in industries for process control, in medical devices for patient monitoring and treatment, and in economic systems for market regulation. They are also used in everyday technologies such as thermostats and cruise control in cars.