Analyizing the dynamics of a pendulum hanging in an accelerating car

NON-INERTIAL reference frame. The answer is given by equation (1). However, the challenge is to solve it within an INERTIAL reference frame. This can be done using a classic Newton's 2nd Law analysis or an energy approach (not using Lagrangian or Hamiltonian analyses). By considering the increase in potential energy and corresponding increase in kinetic energy of the bob, it may be possible to connect the kinetic energy of the bob with the acceleration of the car. This is not a homework question, but rather a challenge posed by the professor.
gatechphysics

Homework Statement

A small weight of mass 'm' hangs from a string in an automobile. Initially, the car is at rest with the weight hanging vertically. Then, the car SUDDENLY accelerates to a rate 'A'. Find the maximum angle [tex]\varphi_{max}[/tex] through which the weight swings by analyzing the motion of the pendulum WITHIN AN INERTIAL REFERENCE FRAME.

Homework Equations

In my book they derive the solution to this problem using an analysis within a NON-INERTIAL reference frame. The answer is:

[tex]\varphi_{max}[/tex] = 2*arctan(A/g) (1)

If you instead try to find the static angle the pendulum makes with the vertical in a car that is already accelerating at a constant rate A you will find that the static angle is half of the maximum angle given by equation (1).

The problem we are being asked though is to try and derive equation (1) using a non-inertial frame and I cannot figure out how to carry out the calculation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the best way to solve this problem is to use a classic Newton's 2nd Law analysis using an inertial reference frame that is stationary with respect to the car. Or is it better to solve this problem using an energy approach? Note that when I say an energy approach I do NOT mean forming the Lagrangian and solving that way. In my class we have only been doing classical analyses using Newton's formulation of mechanics so Lagrangian and Hamiltonian analyses are not acceptable for my class. By energy approach I simply mean that the weight increases in potential energy as it approaches the max angle, thus the corresponding increase in the kinetic energy of the bob must equal the increase in grav. potential so maybe there is a way to connect the kinetic energy of the bob with the acceleration of the car?

By the way this is not a homework question. Instead my professor challenged us to attempt to solve this problem in an inertial frame. I hope that I am not posting this question in the wrong forum. If I am I am sorry but I am new here so just let me know and I will move it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the part 2 you say "derive equation (1) using a non-inertial frame" which contradicts what you said in part 1. So I am confused now. Basically what specific reference frame are you deriving this in... Outside of the car, inside of the car, or the bob's frame of reference.

nickjer said:
In the part 2 you say "derive equation (1) using a non-inertial frame" which contradicts what you said in part 1. So I am confused now. Basically what specific reference frame are you deriving this in... Outside of the car, inside of the car, or the bob's frame of reference.

Sorry. It should be "inertial frame". In my textbook the solution is given for a non-inertial frame. The challenge was posed to us to try to solve this problem within an inertial frame. Thanks for letting me know about that typo. I will edit it right away.

gatechphysics said:

1. Homework Statement

A small weight of mass 'm' hangs from a string in an automobile. Initially, the car is at rest with the weight hanging vertically. Then, the car SUDDENLY accelerates to a rate 'A'. Find the maximum angle [tex]\varphi_{max}[/tex] through which the weight swings by analyzing the motion of the pendulum WITHIN AN INERTIAL REFERENCE FRAME.

Homework Equations

In my book they derive the solution to this problem using an analysis within a NON-INERTIAL reference frame. The answer is:

[tex]\varphi_{max}[/tex] = 2*arctan(A/g) (1)

If you instead try to find the static angle the pendulum makes with the vertical in a car that is already accelerating at a constant rate A you will find that the static angle is half of the maximum angle given by equation (1).

The problem we are being asked though is to try and derive equation (1) using a inertial frame and I cannot figure out how to carry out the calculation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the best way to solve this problem is to use a classic Newton's 2nd Law analysis using an inertial reference frame that is stationary with respect to the car. Or is it better to solve this problem using an energy approach? Note that when I say an energy approach I do NOT mean forming the Lagrangian and solving that way. In my class we have only been doing classical analyses using Newton's formulation of mechanics so Lagrangian and Hamiltonian analyses are not acceptable for my class. By energy approach I simply mean that the weight increases in potential energy as it approaches the max angle, thus the corresponding increase in the kinetic energy of the bob must equal the increase in grav. potential so maybe there is a way to connect the kinetic energy of the bob with the acceleration of the car?

By the way this is not a homework question. Instead my professor challenged us to attempt to solve this problem in an inertial frame. I hope that I am not posting this question in the wrong forum. If I am I am sorry but I am new here so just let me know and I will move it.

It wouldn't allow me to edit my original post so please note the corrected sentence in bold in the above quote.

I thought the inertial reference frame was outside the car and not inside the car since that frame was accelerating. I only ask because you also say "I am assuming that the best way to solve this problem is to use a classic Newton's 2nd Law analysis using an inertial reference frame that is stationary with respect to the car."

Also, I recommend drawing a free body diagram to help you solving this.

Last edited:
nickjer said:
I thought the inertial reference frame was outside the car and not inside the car since that frame was accelerating. I only ask because you also say "I am assuming that the best way to solve this problem is to use a classic Newton's 2nd Law analysis using an inertial reference frame that is stationary with respect to the car."

Also, I recommend drawing a free body diagram to help you solving this.

I don't understand your question. If the frame was inside the car it would cease to be an inertial frame. The question is to solve the problem in an inertial frame. Not necessarily any particular inertial frame. Given this, I was simply assuming in the quote above that an inertial frame that was stationary with respect to the car (e.g. a reference frame attached to the surface of the Earth which sees the pendulum and car accelerating past at a rate A) was the best inertial frame to work within. This assumption might be incorrect.

Related to Analyizing the dynamics of a pendulum hanging in an accelerating car

1. What is the equation for the motion of a pendulum in an accelerating car?

The equation for the motion of a pendulum in an accelerating car is similar to the equation for a pendulum in a stationary reference frame, but with an additional term for the acceleration of the car. The equation is given by: T = 2π√(L/g + a), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the car.

2. How does the acceleration of the car affect the motion of the pendulum?

The acceleration of the car affects the motion of the pendulum by changing the effective value of gravity. As the car accelerates, the pendulum experiences a change in acceleration which affects its period and amplitude. This can result in a change in the frequency of the pendulum's oscillations, making it appear to speed up or slow down.

3. Can the pendulum's motion in an accelerating car be described using simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the pendulum's motion in an accelerating car can be described using simple harmonic motion. As long as the acceleration of the car is small compared to the acceleration due to gravity, the pendulum's motion can be approximated as simple harmonic motion. However, if the acceleration of the car is significant, the pendulum's motion may deviate from simple harmonic motion.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion in an accelerating car?

The length of the pendulum affects its motion in an accelerating car as it is a key factor in determining the period of the pendulum. A longer pendulum will have a longer period and therefore, a lower frequency. This means that it will take longer for the pendulum to complete one oscillation, even if the acceleration of the car remains the same.

5. What happens to the pendulum's motion if the car suddenly stops accelerating?

If the car suddenly stops accelerating, the pendulum's motion will continue as if it was in a stationary reference frame. This is because, in the absence of acceleration, the pendulum will only experience the acceleration due to gravity. It will continue to oscillate with the same frequency and amplitude as before, but the period may be slightly altered due to any changes in the effective value of gravity.