Analysis - Powers of real numbers

In summary: Similarly, for (x^r)^s = x^{rs}, we can write s as a fraction m/n and use the same result. In summary, we can define x^r for all rational numbers r and use the properties of exponents to prove statements like x^{r+s} = {x^r}{x^s} and (x^r)^s = x^{rs} for all rational numbers r and s.
gazzo
Hey everyone!

1. Let [itex]x \in (0, \infty)[/itex]

a) Prove that [itex](x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m = (x^{\frac{1}{q}})^p [/itex] for all [itex]m,p \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex] such that [itex]mq = np[/itex]

Because of the previous we can define [itex]x^r \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] for all [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] by [itex]x^r = (x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m[/itex] if [itex]r = \frac{m}{n}[/itex] with [itex]m \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [iitex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

b) Prove that [itex]x^{r+s} = {x^r}{x^s}[/itex] and [itex](x^r)^s = x^{rs}[/itex] for all [itex]r,s \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]

This question came up in my analysis assignment, we're studying continuity and differentiability at the moment so I'm unsure of my answer! It seems too short :(

For a), it seems to follow immediately,

If [itex]mq = np[/itex] then [itex]m = \frac{np}{q}[/itex] and so we have
[itex](x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m = (x^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{np}{q}} = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^n)^{\frac{p}{q}} = (x^{\frac{p}{q}}) = x^{\frac{1}{n}} = (x^{\frac{1}{q}})^p[/itex] as required.

And b) is similar (there are too many exponents to latexify before my stuff gets stolen upstairs in the study floors).
I went about it proving if [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] then [itex]a^{m+n} = {a^m}{a^n}[/itex] and [itex](a^m)^n = a^{mn}[/itex] by induction. (Can you use induction over m and n by doing it twice fixing m the first time and inducting over n and the second time fixing n?).

Or it's probably better to first prove, if [itex]m\in \mathbb{Z}, n \in \mathbb{N}, x \in (0,\infty)[/itex] then [itex]x^{\frac{m}{n}} = (x^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex].
If [itex]x \in (0,\infty)[/itex] and [itex]m,n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] then [itex](x^m)^n = x^{mn} = (x^n)^m[/itex]. Now let [itex] y:=x^{\frac{m}{n}} = (x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m > 0[/itex]. So [itex]y^n = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m)^n = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^n)^m = x^m[/itex]. Therefore it follows that [itex]y = (x^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex].

If we proved it for the naturals, how can we prove it for the rationals? It seems to follow naturally.

These analysis proofs seem so empty, although subtle. I have huge trouble sponging it all together into a valid proof.

Thanks a lot!
-Gareth

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part b) you can use the fact that for any real number x and any rational numbers r and s, we have x^{r+s} = {x^r}{x^s}. This is because we can rewrite r+s as a fraction m/n, with m and n integers, and then use the result you proved in part a).

FAQ: Analysis - Powers of real numbers

What is analysis?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions, sequences, and series. It involves the use of rigorous mathematical techniques to understand and solve problems related to these mathematical objects.

What are the powers of real numbers?

The powers of real numbers refer to the result of raising a real number to a certain exponent. For example, the second power of a real number is the number multiplied by itself, and the third power is the number multiplied by itself twice. The powers of real numbers can be positive, negative, or zero.

How do you solve problems involving powers of real numbers?

To solve problems involving powers of real numbers, you can use properties of exponents, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. These rules allow you to simplify expressions and solve equations involving powers of real numbers.

What are the applications of powers of real numbers in real life?

The powers of real numbers have various applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, powers of real numbers are used to calculate compound interest in financial investments and to model exponential growth and decay in natural phenomena.

What are complex powers of real numbers?

Complex powers of real numbers refer to the result of raising a real number to a complex exponent. These powers can be expressed in the form of a complex number and have applications in fields such as electrical engineering and signal processing.