Analysis , sequences, limits, supremum explaination needed

In summary, the author is trying to prove that there exists a supremum in a bounded subset of a real number by constructing a monotone increasing sequence and using completeness. 1/n is used to specify the elements of the sequence because it is a nice number to work with. Everything is clear now?
retspool
Analysis , sequences, limits, supremum explanation needed :(

So i have a question and the answer as well, but i will need some explanation.

here is the Question

Let S be a bounded nonempty subset of R and suppose supS ∉S . Prove that there is a
nondecreasing sequence (Sn) of points in S such that lim Sn =SupS .

Answer Proof

Since supS ∉ S , there exist Sn ∈ S for all n ∈N such that Sn > S - 1/n
Hence limSn = supS and (Sn) is a nondecreasing sequence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What are you not clear about? Is it the proof ?

Edit

Just saw your edit. :-)

The idea of the proof is constructing a monotone increasing sequence that converges to the suprema.

Using completeness and the definition of sup S we know that there exist an element of S such that
s_0 > supS - e.

Basically, the statement means that if you go a little bit to the left of the suprema of a set you encounter points of your set that are to the right of that number on the number line.

This is intuitive giving that the supS is the LEAST upper bound. That is, any other upper bound must the greater that supS.

Last edited:

Yes this is the proof.

i don't how it makes sense :(

Please review my edit and post if you still need help :-).

Thanks

I get that they are trying to locate a supremum using its defn, but the 1/n throws me off.

is -(1/n) just an ε through which the statement Sn > S - 1/n
Satisfies the definition of both a supremem and convergence of {Sn} to a real number?

I never thought that we would have to use completeness.
But using it does seems more appropriate.

I thought of using the property liminfSn = limSn = limSupSn, but i guess the approach is incorrect

Yes, that is right 1/n is pretty much your epsilon.

The reason for using 1/n is that works nicely for specifying the elements of the sequence.

I.e
x_1 > supS -1
x_2 > supS -1/2
etc

Whenever you see supA you know completeness is used. You don't need to use limsup and liminf here.

Is everything clear now ?

Crystal.

Thanks a ton.!

FAQ: Analysis , sequences, limits, supremum explaination needed

1. What is analysis?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of functions, limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, and series. It involves the use of rigorous mathematical methods to understand and solve problems related to these concepts.

2. What are sequences in analysis?

In analysis, a sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. It is denoted by {an} or (an) and can be finite or infinite. Sequences play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of functions and their limits.

3. What is a limit in analysis?

In analysis, a limit is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It represents the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the given value. Limits are essential for understanding the continuity and differentiability of functions.

4. What is the supremum in analysis?

The supremum, also known as the least upper bound, is a concept in analysis that represents the smallest value that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set. In other words, it is the highest possible value in a set. It is often used in the context of sequences and limits to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

5. How do you explain analysis in simple terms?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions and their behavior. It involves using precise mathematical techniques to understand and solve problems related to functions, limits, and series. It is used to analyze and describe the properties of various mathematical objects and their relationships with each other.