Analytic functions of analytic functions

• I
  • Thread starter Physgeek64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of analytic functions and their properties in complex variables. It is stated that an analytic function of another analytic function is itself analytic, and the discussion leads to the question of whether this statement can be proved. Different definitions of analytic functions are mentioned, and it is suggested to prove the statement using power series and epsilon-delta arguments.
Physgeek64
In our complex variables course we were told that an analytic function of an analytic function is itself analytic. i.e. For ##h(z)=g(f(z))## ##h(z)## is analytic.

I was wondering is this is just a fact, or if it is possible to prove this statement. I did some googling and the best response I could find was :

##h'(z)= g'(f(z)) f'(z)##, which for ##f'(z)## and ##g'(f(z))## not equal to zero, describes an analytic function.. But I'm afraid this doesn't seem like much of a proof to me.

Many thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of an analytic function? Is it
"We say that the function ##f## is analytic in a neighbourhood ##U## of ##z_0## if it is differentiable everywhere in ##U##." (http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~jmf/Teaching/MT3/ComplexAnalysis.pdf)
or is it
"In mathematics, an analytic function is a function that is locally given by a convergent power series."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_function)

For the first one the differentiation you mentioned would be enough (plus that ##g(U)## is open).
Then it remains to show that the two definitions are equivalent. (See chapter 2.3.3 in the first source I mentioned.)

Likes mfb
I suggest attempting to prove it as follows.

Choose an arbitrary point ##z## and a point ##z'## sufficiently close to ##z## that the power series ##\Big(S^{f,z}_n(z')\Big)_{n=1}^\infty## for ##f(z')## at ##z## converges to ##f(z')## and the power series ##\Big(S^{g,f(z)}_n(z')\Big)_{n=1}^\infty## for ##g(f(z'))## at ##f(z)## converges to ##g(f(z'))##. We know this can be done by the definition of analyticity of the two functions.

Then take the power series for ##g(f(z'))## and replace all occurrences of ##f(z')## by the power series for ##f(z')##. If we write ##\Delta z'\equiv z'-z## then this gives us an infinite series whose terms are powers of an infinite series in ##\Delta z'##. By adding coefficients across the same powers of ##\Delta z'## we can find the coefficient of each power of ##\Delta z'## in the power series that is our candidate for the actual power series for ##h##. Write out the coefficients for the first few powers and a pattern should emerge that will allow writing a formula for the coefficient of ##(\Delta z')^n##. We now have a power series that we would hope will converge to ##h(z')## for ##z'## sufficiently close to ##z##.

Now we need to use epsilon-delta arguments to show that there is some ##r## such that for ##|z'-z|<r##, the power series for ##g(f(z'))## does converge and is equal to ##g(f(z'))##.

Both parts have their challenges, but it's an interesting yet eminently doable problem and should be enjoyable.

FAQ: Analytic functions of analytic functions

1. What are analytic functions of analytic functions?

Analytic functions of analytic functions refer to a mathematical concept where a function is defined as a function of another function. This means that the output of the first function is used as the input for the second function. In other words, the second function is dependent on the first function.

2. What are some examples of analytic functions of analytic functions?

Some examples of analytic functions of analytic functions include composite functions, inverse functions, and trigonometric functions. For instance, if f(x) = 2x+1 and g(x) = x^2, then the composite function f(g(x)) would be 2(x^2)+1, where the output of g(x) is used as the input for f(x).

3. What is the difference between analytic functions and analytic functions of analytic functions?

Analytic functions are functions that can be represented by a power series expansion, while analytic functions of analytic functions are functions that are defined as a function of another function. In other words, analytic functions are a subset of analytic functions of analytic functions.

4. How are analytic functions of analytic functions useful in mathematics?

Analytic functions of analytic functions are useful in mathematics as they allow for the composition of functions, which can help in simplifying complex mathematical expressions. They also play a key role in areas such as calculus and differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using analytic functions of analytic functions?

One limitation of using analytic functions of analytic functions is that they may not always have a closed-form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In such cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate the solution.