Analytic Geometry: Proving R Lies on Ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the point R, which lies on the ellipse ((x^2)/9) + ((y^2)/4) =1, can be found using the equations of the concentric circles with radii 2 and 3. P and Q are points on the circles, with R having coordinates (x1,y0) and satisfying the equations x_0^2+ y_0^2= 4 and x_1^2+ y_1^2= 9. The conversation also suggests using the equations to eliminate x1 and y0 in order to show that R lies on the ellipse.
dajugganaut
Hi all. I have a analytic geometry question that I need a bit of help with.
consider the concentric circles with the equations:

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 9[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2 +y^2 = 4[/tex]

A radius from the center O intersects the inner circle at P and the outer circle at Q. The line parallel to the x-axis through P meets the line parallel to the y-axis through Q at the point R. Prove that R lies on the ellipse
[tex]((x^2)/9) + ((y^2)/4) =1[/tex]

Some of the facts I've established:

the distance from P to Q is 1 for sure. Also, the triagle PQR is a right angle triangle. using the ellipse equation, i know that the distance from the center to the vertex is 3, and that the distance from the center to the focus is the square root of 5.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why wouldn't the distance of PQ be 5?

if the radius of the inner circle is 2 and the outer one is 3, is the distance between them not 1?

Yeah, for some reason I wasn't thinking about those being the squares of the radii. Anyway, I think [itex]R[/itex] would have the ascissa of [itex]Q[/itex] and the ordinate of [itex]P[/itex]. If you solve the respective equations for them, you find [itex](\sqrt{9-y^2}, \sqrt{4-x^2})[/itex]. I would try solve the equation of ellipse for x and then y and it should be equivelent to the coordinates. I'm not very good at making proofs though, so there might be a problem with that way.

Last edited:
Write the point P as [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] and Q as [tex](x_1,y_1)[/tex]. The The fact that P and Q lie on the same radius means that [tex]\frac{y_0}{x_0}= \frac{y_1}{x_1}[/tex]. The horizontal line through P (parallel to the x-axis) is y= y0 and the vertical line through Q (parallel to the y-axis) is x= x1. The point R has coordinates (x1,y0). Of course, [tex]x_0^2+ y_0^2= 4[/tex] and [tex]x_1^2+ y_1^2= 9[/tex]. Thats a total of 3 equation is 4 unknowns. Use the equations to eliminate x1 and y0. I wouldn't be at all surprized if you were left with [tex]\frac{x_0^2}{9}+{y_1^2}{4}= 1[/tex]!

Related to Analytic Geometry: Proving R Lies on Ellipse

1. How do you prove that a point R lies on an ellipse?

To prove that a point R lies on an ellipse, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between point R and the foci of the ellipse. If this distance is equal to the sum of the distances from R to the two vertices of the ellipse, then R lies on the ellipse.

2. Can you use the Pythagorean Theorem to prove a point lies on an ellipse?

Yes, the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to prove a point R lies on an ellipse. By constructing a right triangle with one leg connecting R to a focus of the ellipse and the other leg connecting R to a vertex of the ellipse, the hypotenuse of the triangle is equal to the distance between R and the other focus. If this distance is equal to the sum of the distances from R to the two vertices, then R lies on the ellipse.

3. What other methods can be used to prove a point lies on an ellipse?

Aside from using the distance formula and the Pythagorean Theorem, other methods such as vector algebra or parametric equations can be used to prove a point R lies on an ellipse. These methods involve manipulating the equation of the ellipse and plugging in the coordinates of point R to determine if it satisfies the equation.

4. Can a point lie on an ellipse if it is not on the curve?

No, a point R can only be considered to lie on an ellipse if it is located on the curve itself. If a point is located outside of the curve, it is not considered to be on the ellipse.

5. Are there any other conditions that must be met for a point to lie on an ellipse?

In addition to satisfying the distance formula or other methods of proving a point lies on an ellipse, the point R must also be within or on the boundary of the ellipse. If R is located outside of the boundary, it cannot be considered to lie on the ellipse.