Analyzing a fixture - FBD help

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a fixture to hold a large piece of sheet metal for testing a track robot vertically. The weight of the robot, track, and sheet metal is estimated to be 200lbs and a structural analysis is needed to determine if additional supports or counterweight are necessary. Engineering drawings are requested to assist with creating a free body diagram.
Triathlete

Homework Statement

I am designing a fixture to hold a large piece of sheet metal on which a track robot will be tested vertically. Below is a sketch (the sheet metal on which the track and robot will be mounted will be attached to the vertical aluminum extrusions in the back)
The weight of the robot, track, and sheet metal will be around 200lbs.
I need to do a structural analysis to determine if this will be structurally sound or if I need to add extra supports or counterweight.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0tZHukk_GenaHdmaXFwMFZNOVE/view?usp=sharing

side view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0tZHukk_GenRWdfWlhfeWhPLVE/view?usp=sharing

Homework Equations

I am in need of assistance with the free body diagram, I know where to go from there so no equations are needed at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start here in terms of the FBD, especially in regards to the weight of the robot and sheet metal and where those forces would lie.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want help with this problem then please post some proper engineering drawings of the assembly with backplate , rails and robot in place .

Related to Analyzing a fixture - FBD help

1. What is a fixture?

A fixture is a device used to hold and support a workpiece or object in place during a manufacturing or testing process. It is an essential tool in conducting accurate experiments and analyzing results.

2. What is an FBD?

An FBD, or free body diagram, is a visual representation of the forces acting on a body or object. It helps to analyze and understand the forces involved in a system and their effects on the object.

3. Why is it important to analyze a fixture using an FBD?

Analyzing a fixture using an FBD allows us to accurately determine the forces acting on the fixture and the workpiece. This information is crucial in designing a safe and efficient fixture and predicting the behavior of the object during the testing process.

4. How do you create an FBD for a fixture?

To create an FBD for a fixture, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the fixture, including the weight of the fixture and the workpiece, any external forces, and any reactions from the support structure. Then, draw a simplified diagram of the fixture and its components, and use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of the forces.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a fixture using an FBD?

Some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a fixture using an FBD include neglecting to include all the forces acting on the fixture, not considering the effects of friction and tension, and not properly labeling the forces. It is essential to be thorough and accurate when creating an FBD to ensure reliable results.