Analyzing Circuits: Fill in F Column Values in Truth Table

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the circuit provided has three inputs, x, y, and z, and the output, F, is determined by the formula F=(xy) ⊕ (x ⊕ z), where the symbol ⊕ represents "exclusive OR". The values for F in the truth table can be calculated by first finding the values of xy and x ⊕ z, and then combining them using the exclusive OR operation.
shamieh
Analyze the following circuit then fill in the F column values in the truth table for the circuit.

View attachment 1418

Just need someone to check my work.

My Answer:
  • X Y Z | F
  • 0 0 0 | 0
  • 0 0 1 | 0
  • 0 1 0 | 0
  • 0 1 1 | 0
  • 1 0 0 | 0
  • 1 0 1 | 0
  • 1 1 0 | 0
  • 1 1 1 | 1

(By the way not sure why my phone is rotating all my pictures, apologies in advance).

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    27 KB · Views: 63
Technology news on Phys.org
Assuming you meant that $F=(xy) \oplus (x \oplus z),$ where the $\oplus$ symbol stands for "exclusive OR", then I get the following (building up the truth table from the beginning):
$$
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|c|c}
x &y &z &xy &x \oplus z &(xy) \oplus(x \oplus z)\\ \hline
0 &0 &0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 &0 &1 &0 &1 &1 \\
0 &1 &0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 &1 &1 &0 &1 &1 \\
1 &0 &0 &0 &1 &1 \\
1 &0 &1 &0 &0 &0 \\
1 &1 &0 &1 &1 &0 \\
1 &1 &1 &1 &0 &1
\end{array}
$$

I'm a moron. I was evaluating xy then evaluating y ⊕ z. I see the problem now. Thanks for the help Ach!

Related to Analyzing Circuits: Fill in F Column Values in Truth Table

1. What is the purpose of a truth table in circuit analysis?

A truth table is used to systematically list all possible input combinations and their corresponding outputs in a logical circuit. This allows for a complete analysis of the circuit's behavior and can help identify any errors or inconsistencies.

2. How do you fill in the F column in a truth table?

The F column in a truth table represents the output of the circuit for a given input combination. To fill in this column, you must first determine the logic gates and their connections in the circuit. Then, using the rules of Boolean algebra, you can simplify the expressions and determine the output for each input combination.

3. What are the different types of logic gates used in circuit analysis?

There are several types of logic gates commonly used in circuit analysis, including AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, and XOR gates. Each gate has a unique function and can be combined to create more complex circuits.

4. How do you determine the truth values for a given input combination in a truth table?

To determine the truth values in a truth table, you must first understand the logic behind each gate in the circuit. AND gates require both inputs to be true for the output to be true, while OR gates only require one input to be true. NOT gates simply invert the input. By applying these rules to each gate in the circuit, you can determine the truth values for each input combination.

5. What is the importance of analyzing circuits using truth tables?

Analyzing circuits using truth tables is important because it allows for a systematic and thorough evaluation of the circuit's behavior. It can also help identify any errors or inconsistencies in the circuit design and assist in troubleshooting. Additionally, truth tables can be used to help design and optimize more complex circuits.