Analyzing currents in parallel in circuit diagrams

In summary, the conversation revolved around a homework problem involving parallel resistance, with the teacher confirming that all elements were in parallel. The participants discussed labeling nodes and adding currents in the original equation to arrive at a leftover current of 0.1A. They also shared tips on how to make the images of their work more readable, including using apps like DocScanHD and Imgur. One participant asked if another was still working on the problem and offered a hint on how to calculate a certain current. The conversation concluded with the acknowledgment of a realization about the problem after its due date.
Mark Nussbaum

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-16_2-31-41.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
parallel resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

All elements are in parallel (teacher confirmed this in explanation to the class). Beginning placing labels for nodes to the right of R1, A, B, C, D, and E (ending before R4) and redrawing it as the teacher showed to get us started...
upload_2017-9-16_2-56-16.png

Once I add the currents together in the original equation I end up with .1A left over...
(sorry about low quality don't know how to get it to a webpage.)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-16_2-49-32.png
    upload_2017-9-16_2-49-32.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 520
  • upload_2017-9-16_2-51-15.png
    upload_2017-9-16_2-51-15.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Imgur is another way to post pics. Free app for phones, and it can generate the BBCode to link to the pic.

Imgur is another way to post pics. Free app for phones, and it can generate the BBCode to link to the pic.

Mark Nussbaum, are you still working on this? You know the current from the .5 Vx source and you know the current through R4 (it's the same as I5); do you see how those two allow you to calculate I4?

Yeah I realized it after it was due but now I'll know for next time.

Related to Analyzing currents in parallel in circuit diagrams

1. What is the purpose of analyzing currents in parallel in circuit diagrams?

The purpose of analyzing currents in parallel in circuit diagrams is to understand how current flows through different branches of a circuit and how it affects the overall circuit behavior.

2. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total current in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: Itotal = I1 + I2 + I3 + ..., where I1, I2, and I3 are the individual currents in each branch.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, whereas in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. In a series circuit, the same current flows through each component, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches.

4. How does changing the resistance in one branch affect the current in a parallel circuit?

Changing the resistance in one branch of a parallel circuit does not affect the current in the other branches. The total current remains the same, but the amount of current flowing through each branch may change.

5. Can you have an infinite number of branches in a parallel circuit?

No, it is not possible to have an infinite number of branches in a parallel circuit. As the number of branches increases, the total resistance of the circuit decreases, and eventually, the total resistance becomes negligible, resulting in a short circuit.