Analyzing Errors in Converging Lens Calculations

In summary, the focal distance and the magnification of a converging lens can be determined in two ways, but the results are very different. Error analysis theory can be used to help interpret results.
kthouz

Homework Statement

My task was to determine the focal distance and the magnification of a converging lens. I've done everything as stated in the procedure. The problem that i have is that when i am calculating the magnification in two differents ways i.e M1=b/a and M2=h'/h where a=distance form object to mirror, b=distance from image to mirror, h=height of the objet and h' height of the image, those two magnifications are very divergent. for example in 5 trials if i choose two : M1= 2 while M2=0.95
M1=1.57 while M2=0.85
So how can i explain it? Can you give me a hint or just some error analysis methods (link if possible)? Cause I've never get a course about how to analyse errors.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That's strange. Just what are the 4 distances involved in your experiments? (Image distance, object distance, image height, object height)

Possible errors are either inaccuracies in the measurements, or that the object or image distance is comparable to the lens thickness (the lens should be much thinner than either distance for the calculations to work out simply).

But do you know any mathematical theory used in error analysis so i can try to interpret my results? Please give me a refence!

The simplest theory works as follows:

When you are adding or subtracting two numbers, the error of the result is the sum of the errors.

When multiplying or dividing two numbers, the percentage error of the result is the sum of the percentage errors.

There are more complicated ways of calculating errors, but if you're new to error analysis I would use this simple method.

Example 1, adding or subtracting numbers:

[tex]
(5.0 \ \pm \ 0.3) - (2.0 \ \pm \ 0.1) = 3.0 \ \pm \ (0.3 + 0.1)
= 3.0 \ \pm \ 0.4
[/tex]

Check by adding or subtracting errors from terms, in order to get the maximum result possible:
(5.0 + 0.3) - (2.0 - 0.1)
= 5.3 - 1.9
= 3.4
This "maximal error" calculation gives an answer that is 0.4 higher than the original calculation of 3.0, so the calculated error of 0.4 is correct.

Example 2, multiplying or dividing:

[tex]
\frac{6.0 \pm 0.5}{2.0 \pm 0.1} = 3.0 \ \pm \ ?
[/tex]

To find the error, add the percentage or fractional errors:

[tex]
\frac{0.5}{6.0}\ 100 \ + \ \frac{0.1}{2.0} \ 100
[/tex]
= 8% + 5% = 13%

So the error is 13% of 3.0:
0.13 x 3.0 = 0.39 or roughly 0.4

The final answer is

[tex]3.0 \pm 0.4[/tex]

Check the result by adding or subtracting errors to produce the maximum result possible:

[tex]
\frac{6.0 + 0.5}{2.0 - 0.1} = \frac{6.5}{1.9} = 3.42...
[/tex]

This result is 0.4 higher than 3.0 (to the nearest 0.1), so the calculated error of 0.4 is correct.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much!

FAQ: Analyzing Errors in Converging Lens Calculations

1. What is the purpose of analyzing errors in converging lens calculations?

The purpose of analyzing errors in converging lens calculations is to determine the accuracy and precision of the calculated values. This allows for a better understanding of the reliability of the results and can help identify any potential sources of error.

2. What are the common sources of error in converging lens calculations?

Some common sources of error in converging lens calculations include experimental limitations such as measurement errors, human error in recording data, and assumptions made in the calculations.

3. How can the accuracy of converging lens calculations be improved?

The accuracy of converging lens calculations can be improved by using more precise measurement tools, minimizing human error through careful data recording, and considering any assumptions made in the calculations.

4. What is the difference between accuracy and precision in converging lens calculations?

Accuracy refers to how close a calculated value is to the true value, while precision refers to how close multiple measurements of the same value are to each other. In converging lens calculations, accuracy can be affected by experimental limitations and assumptions, while precision can be affected by human error and limitations in measurement tools.

5. How can uncertainty be quantified in converging lens calculations?

Uncertainty in converging lens calculations can be quantified by calculating the standard deviation of the data and using it to determine the margin of error. This allows for a better understanding of the reliability of the results and the potential range of values that the true value may fall within.

Back