Analyzing Inelastic Collision Data from a graph

In summary, the two objects in a head on collision undergo an inelastic collision. The impulse is the area under the F vs t graph. The force-displacement graph can be used to tell you the work, and so the change in energy. You need the relations between work, energy, and force, and displacement to understand it.
elements

Homework Statement

A head on collision between mass and mass B occurs as described in the F vs s graph below.

Complete the table in the data section

Find [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]A
Find [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]B

see attached page for clarification

Homework Equations

P=m*v
[itex]\Delta[/itex]P=F*t
Ek=[itex]\stackrel{1}{2}[/itex]mv2
[itex]\vec{d}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]t
W=F*[itex]\vec{d}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to use the impulse and the momentum formula to apply to the graph but the numbers just isn't matching up I am unsure of how the 0 and 75 was arrived at just by observing the graph nor can I figure out how velocity 1 was 24 vs v2 at 0.

This is algebraic physics not calculus.

Attachments

• 20140413_212857.jpg
    20140413_212857.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elements said:

Homework Statement

A head on collision between mass and mass B occurs as described in the F vs s graph below.

Complete the table in the data section

Find [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]A
Find [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]B

see attached page for clarification

Homework Equations

P=mv
[itex]\Delta[/itex]P=Ft

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to use the impulse and the momentum formula to apply to the graph but the numbers just isn't matching up I am unsure of how the 0 and 75 was arrived at just by observing the graph nor can I figure out how velocity 1 was 24 vs v2 at 0.

This is algebraic physics not calculus.
I don't quite understand your graph. There are two forces: the force on A and the force on B. There is one line joining several data points (F, s). Which parts of the graph relate to the force on A and which relate to the force on B?

AM

The impulse is the area under the F vs t graph.
You graph is F vs s (is s displacement?) ... what equations have force and displacement together?

Physics without calculus??!
Oh and I see the "lab" did not involve any actual practical work.

It looks a bit like sudoku: you can't just fill it in left to right. The force-displacement graph can be used to tell you the work, and so the change in energy. You need the relations between work, energy, and force, and displacement to understand it.

The graph looks like the force-displacement for one object from the point of contact.
It approaches the target under acceleration of 8N force pointing the other way, comes to rest, then bounces off.
The force during the recoil is less than during the approach.
Is this correct?

These look to be pretty big objects though.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
The impulse is the area under the F vs t graph.
You graph is F vs s (is s displacement?) ... what equations have force and displacement together?

Physics without calculus??!
Oh and I see the "lab" did not involve any actual practical work.

It looks a bit like sudoku: you can't just fill it in left to right. The force-displacement graph can be used to tell you the work, and so the change in energy. You need the relations between work, energy, and force, and displacement to understand it.

The graph looks like the force-displacement for one object from the point of contact.
It approaches the target under acceleration of 8N force pointing the other way, comes to rest, then bounces off.
The force during the recoil is less than during the approach.
Is this correct?

These look to be pretty big objects though.

Well this is a collision type problem, which means conservation of momentum occurs, so I'd assume you are correct but I'm not so sure, myself. I mean I have the impulse and Kinetic energy recorded per area of contact with the force turning points. But I am not sure how to factor in the time thing or what xa means, I'm assuming it's displacement of object A and object B but I have no clue how to find that out from the graph or the data given. especially with time involved, I don't know where 1s is or where 0s was.

Andrew Mason said:
I don't quite understand your graph. There are two forces: the force on A and the force on B. There is one line joining several data points (F, s). Which parts of the graph relate to the force on A and which relate to the force on B?

AM

I do not know which relates to which, what I do know is that this is a inelastic collision so I am assuming that that is the total force/displacement of the two objects together.

Last edited:
elements said:
I do not know which relates to which, what I do know is that this is a inelastic collision so I am assuming that that is the total force/displacement of the two objects together.
? The motion of the centre of mass of the two objects cannot change if the only forces are due to the collision. So if the graph is supposed to represent the force on the two bodies stuck together after the collision, the force should be 0.

Can you give us the whole problem as it was presented to you, before you wrote anything on the graph? Can you then give us all the data that you have and tell us where it comes from?

AM

Related to Analyzing Inelastic Collision Data from a graph

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound.

2. How is inelastic collision data analyzed from a graph?

To analyze inelastic collision data from a graph, the first step is to plot the data points on a graph. Then, the slope of the graph can be used to calculate the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of the collision. The area under the graph can also be used to calculate the amount of energy lost during the collision.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost during the collision.

4. What factors can affect the amount of energy lost during an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost during an inelastic collision can be affected by factors such as the types of materials involved, the speed and angle of the objects before the collision, and the surface characteristics of the objects.

5. How can the concept of inelastic collisions be applied in real-world situations?

Inelastic collisions are common in everyday life, such as when a car collides with a wall or when a ball is thrown and hits the ground. Understanding the concept of inelastic collisions can help engineers design safer cars and sports equipment, and can also be used in fields such as forensic science to analyze accident data.