Analyzing the Circuit: Currents, Potential Differences, and Power Dissipation

• Thread starter britt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: I will check back in a few hours.F) The total power dissipated in the circuit is equal to the sum of the power dissipated in each resistor. If R2 and R5 were swapped, the sum of the power dissipated in each resistor would remain the same, but the power dissipated in R2 and R5 would be different.
britt
1. You are part of a team designing a go-cart. A member of the team has given you a picture of the lighting for go-cart. Your mission is to analyze the circuit. The team has not yet decided on what lights or batteries to use yet, so you need to do the analysis using variables (into which numbers will be plugged once they are decided). In the picture below five light bulbs are connected to two batteries. Treat the batteries as sources of potential difference (∆V#) and the light bulbs as resistors (R#).

A) How many different currents are in this circuit? Draw where they are.

B) How does the potential difference across R4 compare to that across R3?

C) Determine the magnitude and direction of each current (in terms of R# and ε#). Suggestion: use Kirchhoff’s rules and Ohm’s law.

D) What is the total power dissipated in the circuit? E) What answers change if light bulbs R2 and R5 are swapped?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoffs Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

B) 5 currents

C) They are equal but have opposite signs

Attachments

• physics .png
    physics .png
    5.7 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
britt said:
B) 5 currents
You mean A). How do you get 5? Are you proposing a different current through each resistor? Can you see that some must be the same?
C) They are equal but have opposite signs
You mean B). Whether they have the same or opposite signs depends which way round you measure them. Since you are not told which way to measure them, the potential differences should be considered unsigned. But out of interest, let's say we measure both from bottom to top in the diagram; what is your answer now?

Likes 1 person
A) yes I assigned an I to each 5 resistors. Would the series ones be the same? R1 R2 and R5

B) I3=I4 so I34/2

britt said:
B) I3=I4 so I34/2
The question asks for a comparison of potential differences.

Likes 1 person
R3i3=R4i4

1/R3 + 1/R4 = 1/R34 -- does this have anything to do with it?

britt said:
R3i3=R4i4
Your first answer was "They are equal but have opposite signs" and haruspex questioned this. Now that you've had a chance to review your answer, would you express it any differently?

The answer will be in words.

Likes 1 person
The potential difference across both are equal?

britt said:
Yes.
A) yes I assigned an I to each 5 resistors. Would the series ones be the same? R1 R2 and R5
Yes. What about the current in the wire connecting the batteries?

britt said:
Correct. Since the two are connected between the same two points, the voltage across each is equal.

Likes 1 person
C) don't all currents go like
_____>
| | |
^ ^ |
| | |
<___V

help!

britt said:
C) don't all currents go like
_____>
| | |
^ ^ |
| | |
<___V
Yes, those are the current directions.
What about the current in the wire connecting the batteries?
Scratch that question - I see you answered it already. So yes, the currents through r1, r2, and r5 are all the same. Call it I. If the currents through R3 and R4 are I3 and I4, what two equations can you write down relating them to each other and to I?

Likes 1 person
I34=I3I4R3R4 / R34

I3=I4

Not sure about how to relate them

I = I3 + I4 ?

Last edited:
C) ε2-(i4 / r4 + i3 / r3) +ε1-ir=0

d) p= iv = (i+(i3 + i4))(ε12)

e) none would change assuming r2 and r5 have the same resistance

britt said:
C) ε2-(i4 / r4 + i3 / r3) +ε1-ir=0
wrong

d) p= iv = (i+(i3 + i4))(ε12)
wrong

p=iv is a good start.

e) none would change assuming r2 and r5 have the same resistance
What if R2 and R5 had unequal resistance?

Give some more thought to these.

Related to Analyzing the Circuit: Currents, Potential Differences, and Power Dissipation

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity flows. It is made up of various components, such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and switches, that work together to control the flow of electricity.

2. How do I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you can follow these steps: 1) Check all connections and make sure they are secure. 2) Use a multimeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit to identify any potential issues. 3) Inspect the components for any signs of damage or malfunction. 4) Replace any faulty components and test the circuit again.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, and the same amount of current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, and the total current is divided between the branches of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you can add up the resistance of each component. In a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

5. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of a circuit that uses symbols to show the components and their connections. It is used to design, analyze, and troubleshoot circuits, as well as to communicate circuit designs to others.