Angle b/w Planes: Find theta in Radians

In summary, the planes with normal vectors n1=<0,-1,-2> and n2=<-2,1,-2> have an angle of .729727 radians between them. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation n1.n2=||n1|| ||n2|| cos(theta) and solving for theta, but the final answer was incorrect. The conversation also mentioned trying to use the arccosine function instead of pi minus the arccosine.
Colts

Homework Statement

Consider two planes with normal vectors n1=<0,-1,-2> and n2=<-2,1,-2> For these planes and angle theta between them

Homework Equations

n1.n2=||n1|| ||n2|| cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten my answer for theta to be .729727 radians. Not sure why this isn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work. We can't tell where you're making mistakes if all you do is tell us your final, wrong answer.

n1.n2=<0,-1,-2>.<-2,1,-2> = -1-4=-5
||n1|| = sqrt(5)
||n2|| = sqrt(9)
pi-cos^-1(-5/sqrt(45)) = .729727

(-2)x(-2) = +4

n1=<0,-1,2> not -2 sorry

Try using simply the arccosine instead of pi minus the arccosine to get an answer.

2.41186 is the answer I got and that's not right either.

Well, you're doing the calculation correctly, so there's something else that's wrong.

Yeah. It's only homework. I'm not a fan of math homework online. Inputs are tricky sometimes. Thanks for the help

Related to Angle b/w Planes: Find theta in Radians

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between two planes in radians?

The formula for finding the angle between two planes in radians is θ = cos-1 (|n1 · n2|), where n1 and n2 are the normal vectors of the planes.

2. How do I find the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane can be found by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie in the plane. These vectors can be found by selecting any two points on the plane and forming a vector between them. The cross product of these two vectors will give the normal vector of the plane.

3. Can the angle between two planes be negative?

No, the angle between two planes is always a positive value. This is because the cosine function used in the formula only returns values between 0 and π, and the absolute value of the dot product ensures a positive result.

4. How is the angle between two planes related to their orientation?

The angle between two planes is a measure of the inclination or tilt of one plane with respect to the other. If the angle is 0 radians, the planes are parallel, and if the angle is π radians, the planes are perpendicular.

5. Can the angle between two planes be greater than π radians?

No, the angle between two planes cannot be greater than π radians since the range of the inverse cosine function is limited to 0 to π. If the angle between the planes is greater than π radians, it means the planes are pointing away from each other in opposite directions.