Angle Calculation for Particle Velocity and Z-Axis at Given Time t1

In summary: The magnitude of a vector is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. So for a vector ##\vec{A}## that we are writing as the sum of its components, that would be ##\sqrt{A_x^2 + A_y^2 + A_z^2}##. But we also know that ##A_x = |\vec{A}| cos(\theta_x)##, where ##\theta_x## is the angle between ##\vec{A}## and the ##x## axis. So that means we can write ##A_x = |\vec{A}| \hat{x} \cdot \hat{A}##, where ##\hat{A}## is
postfan

Homework Statement

A point particle has a position vector r⃗ (t) as a function of time t, given by

r(t)=(1−t2)x^−2t(t+5)y^+8(t+2)z^.

where distances are in meters, and time t is in seconds. Now, let t=t1= 23 s.

What is the (smaller) angle between the velocity vector at time t1 and the z^ axis? (in degrees)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of the position vector to get -2tx-(4t+10)y+8z. At t=23 the y component of the velocity is -102, but I don't know what to do from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can determine the angle by taking the dot product of the velocity vector with the given axis, then apply the relation that A .dot. B = |A|x|B| cos(angle between A and B).

Is the answer 93.22 degrees?

Does anyone know?

Anyone?

I don't get that. How did you get it?

Note that your velocity vector's y component is not consistent with the y component of r. Which one is correct?

Also, read the question carefully. You will see that your answer is obviously wrong.

Oops, I made a typo, but in my calculations I made the derivative of the y-component of the postion vector -4t-10, which should be right. According to the dot product A_x*B_x+A_y*B_y+A_z*B_z=A*B*cos(alpha). B_x and B_y =0 so you are left with A_z*B_z=A*B*cos(alpha) after you substitute the vectors you get 8z=(-2t-4t-10+8)*z*cos (alpha). Simplifying you get 8=(-6t-2)*cos(alpha). Since t=23, 8=-140*cos(alpha), and cos(alpha)=8/-140 which equals 93.22 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

postfan said:
Oops, I made a typo, but in my calculations I made the derivative of the y-component of the postion vector -4t-10, which should be right. According to the dot product A_x*B_x+A_y*B_y+A_z*B_z=A*B*cos(alpha). B_x and B_y =0 so you are left with A_z*B_z=A*B*cos(alpha)

Your problem comes when you "substitute the vectors". In the equation ##\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = |\vec{A}| |\vec{B}| cos(\theta)##, ##|\vec{A}|## and ##|\vec{B}|## refer to the magnitudes of ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}##, not the equations of the vectors themselves. Do you know what the equation for the magnitude of a vector is?

Last edited:
It's the square root of the respective components squared, right?

postfan said:
It's the square root of the respective components squared, right?

Right! So what's the magnitude of the velocity vector at the specified time, and what's the magnitude of the vector ##\hat{z}##?

Oh, and another error comes in when you take the dot product. You have the definition of a dot product right, but remember that you should get a scalar (just a number) as a result. But what you have is ##8\vec{z}##, which is a vector. Do you see how to fix that?

Ok I redid my calculations and got alpha=85.91 degrees. How's that?

postfan said:
Ok I redid my calculations and got alpha=85.91 degrees. How's that?

Exactly, that's what I got too!

Just to make sure, is the magnitude of the z component of vector B just 1?

postfan said:
Just to make sure, is the magnitude of the z component of vector B just 1?

Yep! You could calculate its magnitude as you would any other vector or use the fact that it's a unit vector, which by definition has a magnitude of 1, but either way that's right!

What is a unit vector?

postfan said:
What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is any vector whose magnitude is one (or unity). That's the mathematical definition, but I'll explain what it is in the context of the problem as well.

You already know that you can take a vector ##\vec{A}## and decompose it into its three components ##A_x##, ##A_y##, and ##A_z## right? But you can't just say that $$A_x + A_y + A_z = \vec{A}$$, because then you have a scalar quantity on the left hand side of the equation and a vector quantity on the right, which doesn't make any sense. So that equation is wrong.

The proper equation is $$A_x \hat{x} + A_y \hat{y} + A_z \hat{z} = \vec{A}$$ ##\hat{x}##, ##\hat{y}##, and ##\hat{z}## are unit vectors, which means they all have a magnitude of one. So the way this equation works is that if you start at the origin, and then you add the vector ##A_x \hat{x}##, and then you add the vector ##A_y \hat{y}##, and then you add the vector ##A_z \hat{z}##, you get ##\vec{A}##! Does that much make sense?

##A_x \hat{x}##, ##A_y \hat{y}##, and ##A_z \hat{z}## are the component vectors of ##\vec{A}##, and ##A_x##, ##A_y##, and ##A_z## are the magnitudes of these component vectors. This is because the magnitude of the unit vectors is one, so when you multiply any number by them, the magnitude of the resulting vector is just the magnitude of the number. You can actually derive the equation for the magnitude of a vector from the above equation!

So what happened when you took the dot product of ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## is you actually performed $$A_x B_x \hat{x} \cdot \hat{x} + A_y B_y \hat{y} \cdot \hat{y} + A_z B_z \hat{z} \cdot \hat{z}$$ And then, since you know that ##\hat{x} \cdot \hat{x} = |\hat{x}| |\hat{x}| cos(\theta)##, and you know that the magnitude of ##\hat{x}## is 1 and the angle between them is 0 (because they're the same vector), then that just turns to 1! So your equation goes to ##A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z##, which is what you're probably used to.

Last edited:
How do you derive the equation for the magnitude of a vector? And are there 2 x,y,and z hats because each vector provides an x,y,and z hat?

postfan said:
How do you derive the equation for the magnitude of a vector? And are there 2 x,y,and z hats because each vector provides an x,y,and z hat?

That's exactly why there are two of them! Sorry for not being explicit about that.

So we have a vector ##\vec{A}##, right? Let's just take the dot product ##\vec{A} \cdot \vec{A}##. Not for any particular reason, let's just do it. We get $$\vec{A} \cdot \vec{A} = A_x^2 + A_y^2 + A_z^2$$ Makes sense, right? But we also know that $$\vec{A} \cdot \vec{A} = |\vec{A}||\vec{A}|cos(\theta)$$ So we can just equate these two and we get $$|\vec{A}||\vec{A}| cos(\theta) = A_x^2 + A_y^2 + A_z^2$$ We know that the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{A}## is zero, so we get $$|\vec{A}|^2 = A_x^2 + A_y^2 + A_z^2$$ Taking the square root of each side, we arrive at the familiar equation $$|\vec{A}| = \sqrt{A_x^2 + A_y^2 + A_z^2}$$

Okay, thanks for all your help!

Related to Angle Calculation for Particle Velocity and Z-Axis at Given Time t1

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How are derivatives used in science?

Derivatives are used in science to model and analyze changes in various quantities, such as position, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used to optimize functions and solve various scientific problems.

3. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow and is commonly used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in science to describe and analyze physical phenomena that involve both magnitude and direction, such as motion, forces, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in vector calculus to solve complex scientific problems.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be added, subtracted, or multiplied by other scalars, while vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by scalars and other vectors.