Angle change rate is a function of the instantaneous angle

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integration problem involving an object moving vertically with constant speed and monitoring the rate of change of the angle $\theta$ as it moves. The equation for the rate of change has been derived, and the individual is looking for a way to solve for $\theta$. Multiple methods have been suggested, including solving the ODE and using trigonometry. The ultimate goal is to find a tool to solve more general cases.
zshaban
Dear All,

I have an integration probelm and I hope to find a solution for.

I assume that an objects moves vertically in the +ive direction of the $y$ axis, from $x=a$, with constant speed $v$. I monitor the rate of change of the angle $\theta\left({t}\right)$. I have derived this rate to be:

$\frac{d\theta\left({t}\right)}{dt}=\frac{v}{a} \cos^2\left({\theta\left({t}\right)}\right)$.

I would like to solve this equation to get $\theta\left({t}\right)$. Does this make sense? Do you have any idea of how to do it?

Many thanks
Zohair

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zshaban said:
Dear All,

I have an integration probelm and I hope to find a solution for.

I assume that an objects moves vertically in the +ive direction of the $y$ axis, from $x=a$, with constant speed $v$. I monitor the rate of change of the angle $\theta\left({t}\right)$. I have derived this rate to be:

$\frac{d\theta\left({t}\right)}{dt}=\frac{v}{a} \cos^2\left({\theta\left({t}\right)}\right)$.

I would like to solve this equation to get $\theta\left({t}\right)$. Does this make sense? Do you have any idea of how to do it?

Many thanks
Zohair

Wellcome on MHB zshaban!...

You can solve the ODE...

$\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{d t} = \frac{v}{a}\ \cos^{2} \theta\ (1)$

... separating the variables as follows...

$\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{\cos^{2} \theta} = \frac{v}{a}\ d t \implies \tan \theta = \frac{v}{a} (t + c) \implies \theta = \tan^{-1} (\frac{v\ t}{a} + c)\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Wellcome on MHB zshaban!...

You can solve the ODE...

$\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{d t} = \frac{v}{a}\ \cos^{2} \theta\ (1)$

... separating the variables as follows...

$\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{\cos^{2} \theta} = \frac{v}{a}\ d t \implies \tan \theta = \frac{v}{a} (t + c) \implies \theta = \tan^{-1} (\frac{v\ t}{a} + c)\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Thank you, chisigma! That was really helpful.

I solve it this way:
\[vt = r\sin\theta,\,\,\,\,a=r\cos\theta\]
\[\tan\theta=\frac{vt}{a}\]
\[\theta=\tan^{-1}\frac{vt}{a}=\theta(t)\]
The domain of $\theta(t)=\pm\infty,$ the range is $\pm\frac{\pi}{2}$.

I don't understand the reason for treating this as an integration/differential equation problem.

Last edited:
DavidCampen said:
I solve it this way:
\[vt = r\sin\theta,\,\,\,\,a=r\cos\theta\]
\[\tan\theta=\frac{vt}{a}\]
\[\theta=\tan^{-1}\frac{vt}{a}=\theta(t)\]
The domain of $\theta(t)=\pm\infty,$ the range is $\pm\frac{\pi}{2}$.

I don't understand the reason for treating this as an integration/differential equation problem.

Thanks David. The intention was to consider a motion that makes an angle $\alpha$ with the $x-axis$, which is more complicated than the case shown above. I just wanted to find the tool to solve similar but more general cases, so I posted a simplified case.

Thanks again for your post.

Cheers,
Zohair

Related to Angle change rate is a function of the instantaneous angle

1. What is meant by "angle change rate"?

The angle change rate refers to the rate at which an angle is changing over time. It can be thought of as the speed or velocity at which an angle is changing.

2. How is angle change rate related to the instantaneous angle?

The angle change rate is a function of the instantaneous angle, meaning that it is dependent on the specific angle at a given moment. This means that the angle change rate will vary depending on the value of the instantaneous angle.

3. Can you provide an example of how angle change rate is a function of the instantaneous angle?

Imagine a pendulum swinging back and forth. The angle change rate of the pendulum will be different at different points in its swing, and this is because the angle change rate is a function of the instantaneous angle. As the angle of the pendulum changes, so does its angle change rate.

4. What factors can affect the angle change rate of an object?

The angle change rate of an object can be affected by various factors, including the object's velocity, acceleration, and the forces acting on it. The object's mass and the medium it is moving in can also play a role in determining its angle change rate.

5. How is the angle change rate calculated?

The angle change rate can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This is also known as the angular velocity and is typically measured in radians per second.