Angle in Spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove something in quantum mechanics but being stuck on a mathematical problem. The problem involves finding the cosine of the angle between two vectors, and there is confusion about whether a certain term in the equation is correct. The two possibilities are cos(\theta)=cos(\theta_a)cos(\theta_b)+sin(\theta_a)sin(\theta_b)cos(\phi_a-\phi_b) and cos(\theta)=1+sin(\theta_a)sin(\theta_b)cos(\phi_a-\phi_b).
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to proove something in QM but I'm stuck on a bit of math.

Say I have two vectors:

[tex]\vec{a} = (r_a,\theta_a,\phi_a)[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{b} = (r_b,\theta_b,\phi_b)[/tex]

What is the cosine of the angle between them? If my proof is to work the cosine of the angle between them have to be:

[tex]cos(\theta)=1+sin(\theta_a)sin(\theta_b)cos(\phi_a-\phi_b)[/tex]

I think the 1 is erroneous and should be replaced with
[tex]cos(\theta_a)cos(\theta_b)[/tex]
But I'm not sure and I can't figure out what I did wrong...Which one is it? Is it either?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(\theta)=cos(\theta_a)cos(\theta_b)+sin(\theta_a)sin(\theta_b)cos(\phi_a-\phi_b)orcos(\theta)=1+sin(\theta_a)sin(\theta_b)cos(\phi_a-\phi_b)

Related to Angle in Spherical coordinates

1. What is an angle in spherical coordinates?

An angle in spherical coordinates is a way of measuring the direction of a point in three-dimensional space. It is typically represented by two angles: the azimuth angle, which measures the horizontal direction, and the elevation angle, which measures the vertical direction.

2. How is an angle in spherical coordinates different from an angle in Cartesian coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, angles are measured relative to a fixed point (the origin) and a fixed axis (the polar axis). In Cartesian coordinates, angles are measured relative to two fixed axes (the x-axis and y-axis). Additionally, in spherical coordinates, angles are measured in degrees or radians, while in Cartesian coordinates they are measured in terms of slope or tangent.

3. How do you convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations: x = r·sin(θ)·cos(φ), y = r·sin(θ)·sin(φ), and z = r·cos(θ). These equations use trigonometric functions to determine the x, y, and z coordinates based on the given values of r, θ, and φ.

4. What is the range of values for angles in spherical coordinates?

The azimuth angle (φ) in spherical coordinates can range from 0 to 2π, while the elevation angle (θ) can range from 0 to π. This covers all possible directions in three-dimensional space, with the exception of the origin, which is represented by r = 0.

5. How are angles in spherical coordinates used in real-world applications?

Angles in spherical coordinates are commonly used in navigation and astronomy. They are also used in physics and engineering to describe the orientation of objects in space and to calculate forces and trajectories. Additionally, many computer programs and graphics engines use spherical coordinates to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects.

Back