Angle of Attack for F-117A at 30,000ft and 400kts: 0.648

• Thread starter jd3005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, to maintain equilibrium in straight and level flight at an altitude of 30,000 feet, cruising at 400 knots and with an aircraft weighing 52,500 pounds, the F-117A should be set to an angle of attack of 0.648. This can be calculated using the formula for lift, which takes into account air density, velocity, wing area, and coefficient of lift.
jd3005
You are flying an F-117A fully equipped, which means that your aircraft weighs 52,500 pounds. You want to maintain equilibrium in straight and level flight at an altitude of 30,000 feet, cruising at 400 knots to conserve fuel. The aircraft's wing area is 1,140 square feet. At what angle of attack should the F-117A be set to maintain equilibrium?
The air density at FL300 is .000889

This was an assignment (independent study) assigned in math. I am working on it however I felt I completed the problem properly, however the answer seems to disagree with me.

L = (1/2) d v2 s CL

* L = Lift, which must equal the airplane's weight in pounds
* d = density of the air. This will change due to altitude. These values can be found in a I.C.A.O. Standard Atmosphere Table.
* v = velocity of an aircraft expressed in feet per second
* s = the wing area of an aircraft in square feet
* CL = Coefficient of lift , which is determined by the type of airfoil and angle of attack.

52,500 = (1/2) (.000889) (400^2 ) (1140) CL

52,500 = (81076.8) CL

0.648 = CL

I'm not concerning significant digits.

Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore the angle of attack must be 0.648 to maintain equilibrium in straight and level flight at an altitude of 30,000 feet, cruising at 400 knots.

Based on the given information and using the lift equation, the angle of attack for the F-117A at 30,000ft and 400kts should be approximately 0.648 degrees to maintain equilibrium in straight and level flight. This means that the wings of the aircraft should be angled at 0.648 degrees relative to the oncoming airflow to generate enough lift to balance out the weight of the aircraft. However, it is important to note that this is an ideal calculation and the actual angle of attack may vary due to factors such as air turbulence and pilot control.

Related to Angle of Attack for F-117A at 30,000ft and 400kts: 0.648

1. What is the angle of attack for an F-117A at 30,000ft and 400kts?

The angle of attack for an F-117A at 30,000ft and 400kts is 0.648 degrees.

2. Why is the angle of attack important for an F-117A?

The angle of attack is important for an F-117A because it determines the amount of lift and drag the aircraft experiences, which affects its overall performance and maneuverability.

3. How is the angle of attack calculated for an F-117A?

The angle of attack is calculated using the formula: angle of attack = (lift force / (air density * velocity^2 * wing area)) * cos^-1(1 - (drag force / lift force)). This calculation takes into account the lift and drag forces acting on the aircraft, as well as the air density and wing area.

4. How does the angle of attack change at different altitudes and speeds?

The angle of attack may change at different altitudes and speeds due to variations in air density and lift/drag forces. Generally, as altitude and speed increase, the angle of attack decreases to maintain lift and stability for the aircraft.

5. What is the recommended angle of attack for an F-117A during flight?

The recommended angle of attack for an F-117A during flight is typically between 0.5-2 degrees, depending on the desired flight characteristics and mission requirements. This range allows for optimal lift and maneuverability while also ensuring the aircraft remains stable and within safe operating limits.