Angle of Elevation Related Rates help

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the speed of an airplane based on its altitude, angle of elevation, and rate of change of the angle. The solution involves using the tangent function and taking derivatives. There is also a discussion about converting angles from degrees to radians and a hint provided by the book. Ultimately, the correct answer is found using the formula: dx/dt = (40,000*pi)/180 or (2,000*pi)/9 feet per second.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member
I need help with this problem in my calculus book.
An airplane at an altitude of 10,000 feet is flying at a constant speed on a line which will take it directly over an observer on the ground. If, at a given instant, the observer notes that the angle of elevation of the airplane is 60 degrees and is increasing at a rate of one degree a second, find the speed of the airplane. (Hint: tangent of theta is equal to sine of theta over cosine of theta)

I've worked it and had tangent of theta equals "x" over 10,000. And took the derivative of each side to get secant squared of theta equals one over 10,000 times dx/dt. I solve for dx/dt with my information and get 40,000 feet per second. However the boom says 10,000*pi over 135.

I don't get where the pi comes from.

Sorry for no LaTeX, I'm on my phone.

Physics news on Phys.org
The full derivative of the angle term must also include the derivative of the angle, i.e., the angular speed. Whose value is given in degrees per second, but it must be converted to the radian measure.

Thank you. The reason I didn't include it was because it was 1 degree a second, but what you're saying is I should convert all angles to radian? I'll try that...

I still can't seem to get it. Can someone tell me how the book got that answer? I don't know why it would give me the hint it did if I don't really need it.

What is the formula you got?

If you want to know what hint they gave: The tangent of theta being equal to the sine of theta over the cosine of theta.

If you want to know the answer I got: (40,000*pi)/180
I know it isn't right , so I didn't feel the need to simplify. The formula I get for the rate x changes with respect to time is:
dx/dt = pi/180 * sec^2 (pi/3)*10,000

B3NR4Y said:
If you want to know what hint they gave: The tangent of theta being equal to the sine of theta over the cosine of theta.

If you want to know the answer I got: (40,000*pi)/180
I know it isn't right , so I didn't feel the need to simplify. The formula I get for the rate x changes with respect to time is:
dx/dt = pi/180 * sec^2 (pi/3)*10,000

\begin{equation}
\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\pi sec^{2}(\frac{\pi}{3}) 10,000}{180}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
tan \theta =\frac{x}{10000}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\frac{d}{dt} (tan \theta) = \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{x}{10000})
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
sec^{2} \theta \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{1}{10000} \frac{dx}{dt}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
10,000 (sec^{2} (\frac{\pi}{3}) \frac{\pi}{180}) = \frac{dx}{dt}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
10,000 (\frac{4\pi}{180})
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\frac{40,000\pi}{180}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\frac{2,000\pi}{9}
\end{equation}

Where have I steered wrong

Last edited:
Oh, and the hint they gave was

\begin{equation}
tan\theta = \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}
\end{equation}

## \tan \theta = \frac x {10000} ## is wrong. The correct formula is ## \tan \theta = \frac {10000} x ##.

So
\begin{equation}
sec^{2} \theta \frac{d\theta}{dt} = -\frac{10,000}{x^{2}} \frac{dx}{dt}
\end{equation}

Yes. Eliminate x from the expression and then find v. Alternatively, you could use cot x = x/10000.

Thanks :D I got the correct answer. You are a calculus god, have the ceremonial loin cloth.

Related to Angle of Elevation Related Rates help

1. What is the angle of elevation?

The angle of elevation is the angle between a horizontal line and a line from the observer's eye to an object that is above the horizontal line.

2. How is the angle of elevation related to related rates?

The angle of elevation is related to related rates through trigonometry. Specifically, the derivative of the angle of elevation with respect to time is used to calculate the rate at which the object's height is changing.

3. What are the key concepts to understand when solving angle of elevation related rates problems?

The key concepts to understand are trigonometry, related rates, and the relationship between the angle of elevation and the object's height.

4. What are some real-world applications of angle of elevation related rates?

Angle of elevation related rates can be used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy. For example, engineers may use it to calculate the rate at which a building or structure is rising. Navigators may use it to determine the height of a lighthouse or mountain. Astronomers may use it to track the movement of celestial bodies.

5. How can I improve my understanding of angle of elevation related rates?

To improve your understanding, you can practice solving different types of problems, review trigonometry concepts, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It can also be helpful to work through examples and applications of angle of elevation related rates in real-world scenarios.

Back