Angle of inclination (using Newton's Laws)

In summary, a physics student playing with an air hockey table finds that a puck with an initial velocity of 3.44 m/s along the length of the table drifts 2.08 cm to the right by the time it reaches the other end. By correctly calculating the puck's displacement and velocity, the student determines that the table is not level and solves for the angle of inclination using kinematics equations. The answer obtained is 0.39°, which may differ from the answer given in the book.
AshNotKetchum
Homework Statement

A physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) finds that if she gives the puck a velocity of 3.44 m/s along the length (2.73 m) of the table at one end, by the time it has reached the other end the puck has drifted 2.08 cm to the right but still has a velocity component along the length of 3.44 m/s. She correctly concludes that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information. What is the angle of inclination?

Relevant equations

Summing forces in x and y directions, according to the question.

The attempt at a solution

I could not visualize a way to solve this question using Newton's laws. The only path to a solution I could visualize was to assume that 2.08 cm was the hypotenuse of a triangle in which the height was the distance the puck had 'fallen', and then solve for theta. However, finding out the distance the puck had fallen has proved to be insurmountable and I may very well be trying to solve this question incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can resolve the motion as one along the length of the table with constant velocity and the other along the slope with acceleration g sin(φ). The components of the displacements are given.

ehild

Attachments

• hockeypuck.JPG
    hockeypuck.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 417
Thank you for your reply, ehild and I apologize for not replying much sooner with a result.

That gif was quite helpful in visualizing the situation and I thought I understood the problem.
Here is what I did:

Find time taken to for the travel by Speed/distance.
Use the kinematics equation S=ut+(1/2)at^2, where a=gsinθ, u(initial velocity in the direction of the slope)=0, S=distance drifted to the right (converted to m).

I solve for θ using θ=arcsin(2S/g*t^2) but that answer seems to be incorrect. Could you point towards what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.

AshNotKetchum said:
I solve for θ using θ=arcsin(2S/g*t^2) but that answer seems to be incorrect. Could you point towards what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.

t^2 has to be in the denominator in the expression for sin θ.

ehild

That is indeed what I meant, sorry for my shoddy mathematical expression.

sinθ=(2S)/(g*t^2)

In this case, θ is 0.15° while the answer to the question is 0.39°.

So, I may have misunderstood you...

When I put the expression as as sinθ=(2S*t^2)/g I got the correct answer, which is a horrible way to go about things. Since our kinematics equation is S=0.5gsinθt^2, I don't understand how t^2 came to be in the numerator to get the correct answer.

Your result is correct. The book might be wrong. ehild

I suppose stranger things have happened.

Thank you very much ehild.

Related to Angle of inclination (using Newton's Laws)

What is the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination is the angle between a horizontal surface and an object or surface that is inclined or tilted.

What is the significance of the angle of inclination in Newton's Laws?

The angle of inclination is important in understanding the application of Newton's Laws of motion. It helps determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object.

How is the angle of inclination calculated?

The angle of inclination can be calculated using trigonometry. It is the inverse tangent of the ratio of the object's height to its horizontal displacement.

What effect does the angle of inclination have on an object?

The angle of inclination affects the weight and normal force acting on an object. As the angle increases, the weight of the object decreases and the normal force increases.

How does the angle of inclination affect the motion of an object?

The angle of inclination affects the acceleration and velocity of an object. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases and the velocity decreases.