Angle of refraction through ice into water

In summary, to find the angle of refraction in the water, you need to use Snell's law at each surface of the ice. The fact that the ice is parallel only means that the equation applies at any point on the surface. The refractive index of ice and the direction of light bending at each surface must also be taken into account.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A layer of ice having parallel sides floats on water. If light is incident on the upper surface of the ice at an angle of incidence of 15.0°, what is the angle of refraction in the water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know its not so simple that i can just use Sin theta n1 = sin theta n2... but i don't know how the fact that it is parallel will change the equation. Should i find the angle of refraction in the ice and then use that as the angle of incidence for the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation only applies at a point on the surface - being parallel just means that you don't care where on the surface.

It's almost the same as the typical experiment with light going through a glass block.
You simply apply Snell's law ( n1 sin t1 = n2 sin t2 ) at each surface.
You will need the refractive index of ice and remember which way light bends at each surface.

goWlfpack said:
Should i find the angle of refraction in the ice and then use that as the angle of incidence for the water?

Yup. That's how you should go about this problem. Use Snell's law twice, once at each interface.

Related to Angle of refraction through ice into water

Q: What is the angle of refraction through ice into water?

The angle of refraction through ice into water depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the materials. It can be calculated using Snell's law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of ice and water, respectively, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction.

Q: How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction through ice into water?

The angle of incidence is directly related to the angle of refraction through ice into water. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases. This is because the light rays bend more when traveling from a less dense material (ice) to a more dense material (water).

Q: What is the refractive index of ice and water?

The refractive index of ice is approximately 1.31 and the refractive index of water is 1.33. This means that light travels about 1.31 times faster in ice than in a vacuum, and about 1.33 times faster in water than in a vacuum.

Q: Can the angle of refraction through ice into water be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of refraction cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle (which is 48.8 degrees for ice and water), total internal reflection occurs and no light can pass through the boundary between the two materials.

Q: How does the temperature of ice and water affect the angle of refraction?

The temperature of the materials does not have a significant effect on the angle of refraction through ice into water. However, as the temperature decreases, the refractive index of both ice and water may slightly increase, resulting in a slightly larger angle of refraction.