Angle of total acceleration of an object in circular motion

In summary, the train slows down from 90 km/h to 50 km/h in 15 seconds while rounding a 150 m radius curve. The total acceleration at the moment the train reaches 50 km/h can be calculated using the formula a = sqrt[a_t^2 + a_r^2]. The angle of acceleration can be measured from any point, but in this problem, it is measured relative to the final velocity vector.
TheKShaugh

Homework Statement

A train slows down as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn, slowing from 90 km/h to 50 km/h in the 15 s that it takes to round the bend. The radius of the curve is 150 m. Compute the total acceleration at the moment the train speed reaches 50 km/h

Homework Equations

a = sqrt[a_t^2 + a_r^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution for the total acceleration, I'm just wondering what I am supposed to give the angle relative to in these kinds of problems in general. The answer key gives the angle relative to the final velocity vector, is that a good reference point in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheKShaugh said:
I have the solution for the total acceleration, I'm just wondering what I am supposed to give the angle relative to in these kinds of problems in general. The answer key gives the angle relative to the final velocity vector, is that a good reference point in general?
As long as you specify where your angle is measured from, you should be okay. It doesn't really matter what you measure it from. If they want it measured from a certain spot then a problem will tell you where to measure the angle from. Otherwise it doesn't matter (because saying it's "θ from this" or "Φ from that" could be saying the same thing, even though θ ≠ Φ and "this" ≠ "that").

In the present example, I don't see any other option. There are no geographical directions, and you don't know the angle of the turn. In another question there may be other options, but in that case I would hope the statement of the question would tell you what direction to use as the base.

Related to Angle of total acceleration of an object in circular motion

1. What is the angle of total acceleration of an object in circular motion?

The angle of total acceleration of an object in circular motion is the angle between the total acceleration vector and the tangent to the circular path at any given point. This angle is constantly changing as the object moves along the circular path.

2. How is the angle of total acceleration related to the centripetal and tangential accelerations?

The angle of total acceleration is the sum of the centripetal and tangential accelerations. The centripetal acceleration is directed towards the center of the circular path, while the tangential acceleration is directed tangent to the circular path. The angle of total acceleration captures the combined effect of these two accelerations on the object.

3. Can the angle of total acceleration be negative?

Yes, the angle of total acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the centripetal and tangential accelerations are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative angle. This can happen when the object is slowing down or changing direction.

4. How does the radius of the circular path affect the angle of total acceleration?

The radius of the circular path has no effect on the angle of total acceleration. The angle is determined by the magnitudes and directions of the centripetal and tangential accelerations, which do not depend on the radius of the circular path.

5. Is the angle of total acceleration constant in circular motion?

No, the angle of total acceleration is not constant in circular motion. As the object moves along the circular path, the angle changes continuously due to the changing magnitudes and directions of the centripetal and tangential accelerations.