Angular Acceleration Calculation: Solving Problems with Missed Physics Notes

In summary, a wheel has a velocity of 200 rad/min and rotates for 1.5s. It has a rotational inertia of 5500 kgm2(squared). If 5000 N of forced were applied, the wheel's radius would be 1.56 m. The force applied was 10,000 NM. It takes 1.5s for the wheel to reach its final velocity.
ProSk8ter474
I missed a week of school because of a virus. During that week, I missed taking a lot of physics notes. When I returned, I received a problem from my teacher that he wants me to solve. I have the notes now but I don't understand them because they weren't taught to me, so may someone please help me with doing this problem.

1) a) Determine angular acceleration of a wheel, which has a velocity of 200 rad/min after rotating for 1.5s from start.
b) If the wheel has a rotational inertia of 5500 kgm2(squared), what would be its radius if 5000 N of forced had been applied?
c) If the same wheel, having reached a final velocity of 200 rad/min, were slowed down with a constant torque of 10,000 NM applied (with same radius), how long would it take to stop the wheel?
d.) How much force was applied?
e.) Determine the mass of the wheel. (the wheel is a solid disk)

Again, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1a) Assume constant acceleration from rest state
1b) How are torques related to angular accelerations?
1c) as in 1b)

e) How can you relate moment of inertia to mass?

1d) How is torque in 1c) related to force?

Ok, here's what I'm thinking.

a.) (200/60)rad/min = (10/3)rad/s
Angular Acceleration = (dW/dT)
(3.33rad/s)/(1.5s) = 2.22 rad/s^2

b.) I = MR^2 F = Ma
5000N = (M)(2.22rad/s^2)
M = 2252.25 kgm/rad

I = MR^2
(5500kgm^2) = (2252.25kgm/rad)(R^2)
R = 1.56 m/rad

c.) No idea. Please Help
d.) No idea. Please Help
e.) No idea. Please Help

Maybe for part C I can do this...

Angular Displacement = (W^2-Wo^2)/(2*Angular Acceleration)
= (11.11rad^2/s^2)/(4.44rad/s^2)
= 2.5 rad
Angular Displacement = (t/2)(Wo+W)
=(2.5 rad) = (t/2)*(10/3rad/s)
=(2.5 rad)/(3.33rad/s)
= .75s = (t/2)
t = 1.5 s

Now, I think I solved that part, but I didn't end up using Torque or the Radius, so my answer could be wrong. Please reply with any comments

Related to Angular Acceleration Calculation: Solving Problems with Missed Physics Notes

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the rotational velocity of an object changes over time. It is usually represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of the rotation, and α is angular acceleration. This means that for a given angular acceleration, the linear acceleration will increase as the radius of rotation increases.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is affected by the net torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distribution of mass within the object. The net torque is influenced by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, while the moment of inertia depends on the mass and shape of the object.

4. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a rotation sensor or a stopwatch. One common method is to measure the change in rotational velocity over a given time interval, and then divide that change by the duration of the interval. This will give the average angular acceleration over that time period.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a fundamental concept in rotational motion and is used in many real-world applications. Some examples include understanding the motion of objects in circular motion (such as a rotating wheel or a spinning top), designing and controlling machinery that uses rotational motion (such as motors and turbines), and analyzing the stability and dynamics of rotating objects (such as satellites and gyroscopes).