Angular acceleration for one gear to another

In summary, the question involves a gear r with an angular acceleration of 0.2 rads^{-2} (counterclockwise) and is resting at t=0s. It applies torque to a cylinder R (concentric), with a massless p cylinder welded to it. A mass m hangs from a string attached to p, which is not elastic and has no mass. The gears and cylinder are also massless. The question asks to find the distance traveled by m after 10 seconds (t=10s) and its velocity at that position. The answer key's results differ from the calculated values, possibly due to tinkering with the given values.
dumbdumNotSmart

Homework Statement

vsubV.png

Gear r has angular acceleration of a magnitude of .2 rads^{-2}(counterclockwise) and is resting at t=0s . p is a cylinder welded to R (concentric). r applies torque to R, these do not slip or slide. A mass m hangs from a string which is attached to p. This string is not elastic nor does it have mass. The gears and cylinder are massless, and the mass has no effect on the acceleration of the gears.
r=5cm ; R=20cm ; p=10cm ; acceleration of r =.2 rads^{-2}

a) Find distance traveled by m after 10 seconds (t=10s)
b) Find velocity of m at said postion (t=10s)

Homework Equations

w=v/r ; radians traveled = .5(Ang. Accel.)t^2 (omitting initial conditions) ; radians = d/r ;
w=(ang. acc.)t (omitting initial conditions)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd much rather not go through the tedious task of rewriting all my work in a format I am not accustomed to. You can see all the above information in another forum where I posted the same question. For the sake of time, here is http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/209973/how-do-you-find-the-longitude-travelled-by-a-string-hooked-to-a-concentric-cylin?noredirect=1#comment449514_209973 and formatted.
Although I managed to acquire what seemed like reasonable answers, they differ to the answer key's ( a. d=83.3cm b. v=25cm/s)
I got 25cm for m's displacement and 5 cm/s velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your results look fine to me. Perhaps the problem's given values were tinkered with to "refresh" the question, while the answer key was not updated.

You could take a screen snip of your work and post the image to conform to our rules that you must show your work:
MyWork.PNG

Likes dumbdumNotSmart
gneill said:
Your results look fine to me. Perhaps the problem's given values were tinkered with to "refresh" the question, while the answer key was not updated.

You could take a screen snip of your work and post the image to conform to our rules that you must show your work:

Alright, I´ll take your word for it. I had been suspecting this for some time now. Thank you so much.

Related to Angular acceleration for one gear to another

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The equation for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity changes. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. How does angular acceleration affect a gear system?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in a gear system as it determines how quickly the gears will rotate and how much torque will be produced. The gear with a smaller radius will experience a greater angular acceleration than the gear with a larger radius, resulting in a transfer of energy between the two gears.

5. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a gear system?

The angular acceleration of a gear system can be affected by various factors, including the force applied to the gears, the size and shape of the gears, and the friction between the gears. The mass and distribution of mass of the gears can also have an impact on the angular acceleration.