Angular acceleration of a rod - 2

In summary: for clarifying that, in summary, for the problem of a rod in rotational equilibrium with a cut string, the angular acceleration calculated using the torque equation about the center of mass is correct.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=d35f532f418a05e556de415815b55327.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Initially the rod is in rotational equilibrium , so net torque about CM is zero .

From torque equation about CM , we get

Tension T in the left string = Force F (kx) in the spring

Doing a force balance gives us T+F=Mg

2F=Mg

F=Mg/2

Now when the string is cut , force equation in vertical direction is Mg - F = Ma

Torque equation about the CM is F(L/2) = (ML2/12)α

F = Mg/2 since force exerted by spring remains same just after right string is cut .

Using value of F in the above two eqs gives a = g/2 and α = (3g/L)

Have I approached it correctly ?

Attachments

• rod1.png
    rod1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
Have I approached it correctly ?
No. When the cord is cut, the rod will rotate about its end at A. It is best to do your calculation about that end. Then you will see that the force exerted by the spring changes when the cord is cut.

kuruman said:
No. When the cord is cut, the rod will rotate about its end at A. It is best to do your calculation about that end. Then you will see that the force exerted by the spring changes when the cord is cut.

Just after the cord is cut , the spring length doesn't change instantaneously , which means force exerted by spring doesn't change immediately when the cord is cut .

I don't see how spring force is different before and just after cord is cut .

Vibhor said:
Just after the cord is cut , the spring length doesn't change instantaneously , which means force exerted by spring doesn't change immediately when the cord is cut .
That is true. I was thinking about another situation when a stated that the force changes. For this problem, the angular acceleration for rotations about the CM is the one that makes sense. Your solution looks good.

Thanks

Last edited:

FAQ: Angular acceleration of a rod - 2

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, describing how quickly an object's rotational speed is increasing or decreasing over time.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and has units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

The angular acceleration of a rod can be affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of the rod, the force applied to it, and the moment of inertia of the rod.

Is angular acceleration the same as linear acceleration?

No, angular acceleration and linear acceleration are different concepts. Angular acceleration describes the change in rotational speed, while linear acceleration describes the change in linear velocity.

How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration and torque are directly related through the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the torque applied to an object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This implies that a larger torque will result in a larger angular acceleration, and vice versa.

Back