Angular Deceleration of a Bicycle Wheel

In summary: You will get it correct.In summary, the conversation discusses a bicycle being turned upside down for repairs and a friend observing drops of water flying off the spinning wheel. The height reached by the drops is measured and used to find the angular deceleration of the wheel, given that the angular speed is decreasing and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. After calculations and taking into account the radius of the wheel, the angular deceleration is found to be -0.29244721 rad/s^2.
bmoore509

Homework Statement

A bicycle is turned upside down while its owner repairs a flat tire. A friend spins the other wheel of radius 0.4 m and observes that drops of water fly off tangentially. She measures the height reached by drops moving vertically. A drop that breaks loose from the tire on one turn rises 49.8 cm above the tangent point. A drop that breaks loose on the next turn rises 46.8 cm above the tangent point (the angular speed of the wheel is decreasing).
Find the angular deceleration of the wheel. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . Assume the angular deceleration is constant.
Answer in units of rad/s2.

Homework Equations

.5mvi^2=mgh1
w=v/r
wf^2=wi^2+2(alpha)(thetafinal-thetainitial)

The Attempt at a Solution

r=0.4 m
h1= 0.498 m
h2=0.468 m
Change of theta=2pi (I'm a little confused on this. Would it be 2pi or 4pi?)

I got v1=3.124227905 m/s
v2=3.028663071 m/s
w1 = 7.81059763
w2 = 7.571657678

w2^2=w1^2+2(alpha)(changetheta)
7.57165678^2=7.810569763^2+2(2pi)a
a=-0.29244721 rad/s^2

I don't know where I went wrong but that answer isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your angular displacement is correct. But angular velocity is wrong. You have not used the radius of the wheel.
v = rω. so angular velocity = v/r.
Now proceed.

I don't understand how that's not what I did.

3.124227905/0.4=7.81059763

bmoore509 said:
I don't understand how that's not what I did.

3.124227905/0.4=7.81059763

You are right. Your answer appears to be correct.

It's not, though because it's an online homework and the online homework says its wrong.

bmoore509 said:
It's not, though because it's an online homework and the online homework says its wrong.
They have asked the angular deceleration. So change the sign and submit.

FAQ: Angular Deceleration of a Bicycle Wheel

1. What is angular deceleration of a bicycle wheel?

Angular deceleration of a bicycle wheel is the rate at which the rotational speed of the wheel decreases over time. It is usually measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular deceleration different from linear deceleration?

Angular deceleration refers to the change in rotational speed of a rotating object, while linear deceleration refers to the change in linear velocity of an object moving in a straight line. Angular deceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear deceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the angular deceleration of a bicycle wheel?

The angular deceleration of a bicycle wheel is affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of mass of the wheel, the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the ground, and any external forces acting on the wheel (such as air resistance).

4. How is angular deceleration related to moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia of a bicycle wheel, the slower its angular deceleration will be for a given amount of torque applied to the wheel.

5. How can angular deceleration be calculated?

Angular deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be determined using the equation α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque applied to the wheel, and I is the moment of inertia of the wheel.