Angular Deceleration of Flywheel due to Rotation Motion

In summary, a flywheel with a radius of 0.20 m and moment of inertia of 0.15 kg/m^2 initially rotates at an angular velocity of 18.9 rad/s. A tangential force is applied to the rim, causing the flywheel to slow down and stop after 12 revolutions. The average angular speed during deceleration is 9.45 rad/s, and the time taken for 12 revolutions is approximately 8 seconds. The angular deceleration is calculated to be -2.37 rad/s^2.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

A flywheel of radius 0.20 m with moment of inertia 0.15 kg/m^2 rotates at 180 revolution per minute . A tangential force is applied on the rim of the flywheel and it stops after 12 revolutions.Calculate the angular deceleration .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial angular velocity is 18.9 rad/s after conversion. The time taken for 12 revolutions is 4s (since it can rotate 180 times in 60 s , so in 4 s , it can rotate 12 times) . Final angular velocity is 0 .

Using [tex]\omega_f=\omega_i+\alpha t[/tex]

[tex]0=18.9+4\alpha[/tex]

solving this , i got 4.37 sec

but the ans given 2.37 sec, where did i go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
thereddevils said:
The time taken for 12 revolutions is 4s (since it can rotate 180 times in 60 s , so in 4 s , it can rotate 12 times) .
That would be true if the angular velocity were constant, but it's not. The wheel is slowing down. Hint: What's the average speed during its acceleration?

Doc Al said:
That would be true if the angular velocity were constant, but it's not. The wheel is slowing down. Hint: What's the average speed during its acceleration?

thanks Doctor , so if i take the average velocity , then the time,t =4s would be valid in my calculations ?

a=v/t=(18.9/2)/4=2.37

thereddevils said:
thanks Doctor , so if i take the average velocity , then the time,t =4s would be valid in my calculations ?
The thing to do is use the average angular speed to find the correct time. (4s is not correct.) Then you can use your original equation to find the acceleration.

Doc Al said:
The thing to do is use the average angular speed to find the correct time. (4s is not correct.) Then you can use your original equation to find the acceleration.

sorry doc , i still don get it .

Is the average simply 18.9/2=9.45 s

Then , i am not sure how to use this to find time .

thereddevils said:
sorry doc , i still don get it .

Is the average simply 18.9/2=9.45 s
Yes. (The units are radians/sec.)

Then , i am not sure how to use this to find time .
Use the rotational analog to Distance = Ave Speed X Time
(The "distance" will be the angle in radians.)

Doc Al said:
Yes. (The units are radians/sec.)

Use the rotational analog to Distance = Ave Speed X Time
(The "distance" will be the angle in radians.)

thanks i was too hung up with the 180 revolutions as compared to 12 revolutions so a final check ,

the angular displacement is 2pi x 12=75.4 (Initially , i though of 2pi x 0.2 x12 , this would be linear displacement right ?)

75.4=9.45t , t is approximately 8s .

0=18.9+8a

a=-2.37 rad/s^2

All good! :approve:

FAQ: Angular Deceleration of Flywheel due to Rotation Motion

What is angular deceleration?

Angular deceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object decreases over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotation is slowing down.

How is angular deceleration of a flywheel calculated?

The angular deceleration of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular deceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time.

What factors affect the angular deceleration of a flywheel?

The angular deceleration of a flywheel is affected by the moment of inertia of the flywheel, the frictional forces acting on the flywheel, and the external torque applied to the flywheel. The greater the moment of inertia and external torque, and the stronger the frictional forces, the greater the angular deceleration will be.

Why is understanding angular deceleration important?

Understanding angular deceleration is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace. It allows us to predict the motion of rotating objects and design systems that rely on rotational motion.

How can angular deceleration be reduced?

Angular deceleration can be reduced by decreasing the external torque applied to the flywheel, reducing the moment of inertia of the flywheel, or decreasing the frictional forces acting on the flywheel. In practical applications, this can be achieved through proper lubrication, precise balancing, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction.

Back