Angular Displacement: 2π Radians

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular displacement when walking around a circular track. The speaker's displacement is 0 because they end up back at their starting point. However, when considering angular displacement, it is not a vector and does not follow the laws of vectors. Therefore, the angular displacement when rotating a full circle is 2 pi radians and its direction can be determined using the right hand rule.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I walk around a circular track. My displacement is 0 because I'm back at my starting point.
How about my angular displacement? Is it 2 pi radians, or is it also 0? The definitions I've been reading online seem to indicate that 2 pi radians is the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
I walk around a circular track. My displacement is 0 because I'm back at my starting point.
How about my angular displacement? Is it 2 pi radians, or is it also 0? The definitions I've been reading online seem to indicate that 2 pi radians is the answer.
Angular displacement has magnitude and direction, but it is not a vector because it does not obey all the laws of vectors, specifically, it does not obey the commutative property of addition. So the angular displacement when rotating full circle is 2pi radians , and it's direction is given by the right hand rule.

Likes tony873004

FAQ: Angular Displacement: 2π Radians

What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in orientation or rotation of an object. It is usually measured in radians or degrees.

How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement measures the change in rotation or orientation of an object, while linear displacement measures the change in position or distance of an object.

What is the formula for calculating angular displacement?

The formula for calculating angular displacement is θ = s/r, where θ is the angular displacement, s is the arc length, and r is the radius of the circle or arc.

Why is angular displacement measured in radians?

Radians are the preferred unit of measurement for angular displacement because they are directly related to the arc length and radius of a circle, making calculations easier.

How is 2π radians related to a full circle?

2π radians is equal to a full circle or 360 degrees. This means that when an object rotates a full circle, its angular displacement is 2π radians.