Angular frequency of a pendulum

In summary: The center of mass of a uniform rod is at the midpoint, which is 0.5m from either end. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular frequency for a physical pendulum consisting of a 1.5kg mass and a 1.00m long stick with a moment of inertia of 2.00kg*m^2. The correct answer is 3.32 rad/s, with a distance of 0.75m to the center of mass being used in the calculation. The conversation also clarifies that the 0.5m distance comes from the midpoint of the 1m long rod, which is the center of mass.
dlp211

Homework Statement

A physical pendulum consists of a small 1.5kg mass at the bottom end of a uniform 1.00m long 1.5kg stick swinging about its upper end. The moment of inertia of the pendulum about its upper end is 2.00kg*m^2. What is the angular frequency

Homework Equations

sqrt(mgd/I)=w

I = I(cm)+md^2 = I = (1/3)(1.5)(1^2)+ (1.5)(d^2) = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 1.5+1.5
g = 9.81
d = 1
I = 2

w = sqrt([3*9.81*1]/2) = 3.83 rad/s

According to my solutions manual this is wrong and the correct answer is 3.32 rad/s and somehow d = .75. I don't know how they calculated that, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what d means in the formula for angular frequency?

ehild

I thought d was distance, but I am guessing that it isn't?

Distance of what?

ehild

Wait, is supposed to be distance to center mass? The lecture notes don't say this, but I think this is right.

[1.5(.5)+1.5(1.0)]/3 = .75

Yes, it is the distance of the CM from the pivot.:smile:

ehild

Thanks

dlp211 said:
Wait, is supposed to be distance to center mass? The lecture notes don't say this, but I think this is right.

[1.5(.5)+1.5(1.0)]/3 = .75

Can someone explain to me how this was done? Is that the equation for the center of mass? Where did the number 0.5 come from? Thanks!

jtc143 said:
Can someone explain to me how this was done? Is that the equation for the center of mass? Where did the number 0.5 come from? Thanks!

Yes that is the center of mass equation.

The 0.5 comes from the uniform rod of 1m.

FAQ: Angular frequency of a pendulum

What is the angular frequency of a pendulum?

The angular frequency of a pendulum is a measure of how quickly the pendulum swings back and forth. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

How is the angular frequency of a pendulum related to its length?

The angular frequency of a pendulum is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the angular frequency decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect the angular frequency of a pendulum?

The angular frequency of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the angle at which the pendulum is released and any external forces acting on the pendulum.

How is the angular frequency of a pendulum calculated?

The angular frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula ω = √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum.

What is the relationship between the angular frequency and the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete back and forth swing. The angular frequency and the period of a pendulum are inversely proportional, meaning that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

Back