Angular frequency precession of spinning top

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the angular frequency of precession for a spinning top problem. The user has already found the precession angular velocity and is confused about the difference between angular velocity and frequency. They ask for clarification and are told that the angular frequency is measured in radians per second and can be converted to frequency in cycles per second using the formula ω = 2πf. They also mention a previous conversation where someone said that (gr)/(K^2*w) is the angular frequency, causing further confusion. However, it is clarified that this expression is the angular frequency measured in radians per second. The conversation ends with the user expressing gratitude for the clarification.
indie452

Homework Statement

im doing a sipnnig top question and i have got an answer for the precession angular velocity
this site shows a good example of what i did: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/top.html

and so i have gr/K2w if i sub in I=mK2

but i need to find the angular frequency of the precession. I'm confused between the angular velocity and frequency and how to change between the two.

any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
indie452 said:
I'm confused between the angular velocity and frequency and how to change between the two.
ω is measured in radians per second. How many radians in one cycle?

so i can just use w=2pif?

indie452 said:
so i can just use w=2pif?
Sure.

ok but i was discussing this problem with someone today and they said that (gr)/(K^2*w) is the angular frequency and now I'm even more confused is this the angular frequency of precession or is it (gr)/(K^2*w*2pi)

indie452 said:
ok but i was discussing this problem with someone today and they said that (gr)/(K^2*w) is the angular frequency and now I'm even more confused is this the angular frequency of precession or is it (gr)/(K^2*w*2pi)
Yes, the first expression is the angular frequency (also called angular speed) measured in radians per second. (If you wanted just the frequency f, in cycles per second, use ω = 2πf.)

Sorry if I wasn't clearer before. :redface:

ok i get it now thanks for that :)

Related to Angular frequency precession of spinning top

1. What is angular frequency precession?

Angular frequency precession refers to the motion of a spinning top as it rotates around its axis while also rotating around a fixed point. This results in a circular path traced by the top's axis of rotation, known as precession.

2. How is angular frequency precession calculated?

Angular frequency precession is calculated by taking the ratio of the angular velocity of the top's rotation around its axis to the angular velocity of its precession. This is known as the precession ratio or precession frequency.

3. What factors affect the angular frequency precession of a spinning top?

The angular frequency precession of a spinning top is affected by various factors such as the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the top, as well as the surface it is spinning on and any external forces acting on it.

4. How does angular frequency precession relate to gyroscopic stability?

Angular frequency precession is a key factor in gyroscopic stability, which is the ability of an object to maintain its orientation and resist external forces. The greater the angular frequency precession, the more stable the spinning top will be.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular frequency precession?

Angular frequency precession has various applications in everyday life, such as in gyroscopic devices like compasses, gyroscopes, and stabilizing systems in vehicles. It is also used in the study of celestial bodies, such as the precession of Earth's axis of rotation.