Angular magnification of an out-of-focus eyepiece

In summary: However, when lens correct for myopia, rays exiting eyepiece are not parallel, so how can magnification be calculated in function of the distance from the optical axis (image distortion)?In summary, the distortion (magnification as a function of defocus) changes by a couple of percents when the eyepiece is used for 'normal vision', but for big fields of view (90 degrees), distortion is big and need to be accounted for by an algorithm.
chromatic
I'm trying to simulate light rays going through an eyepiece to characterize its magnification in function of the distance from the optical axis (image distortion). Attached is a figure showing the simulation console.

Some lenses in the eyepiece are movable to correct for myopia/hypermetropia.

When the object is exactly at the focal point (rays from a single point all exit parallel), magnification is easily calculated from the angle of exiting rays.

HOWEVER, when the lens correct for myopia, the rays exiting from the eyepiece are not parallel, how can I calculate magnification in function of the distance from the optical axis (image distortion) in that case?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• example_rays_90fov_y_equal_4.jpg
    example_rays_90fov_y_equal_4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 494
Science news on Phys.org
I'm just wondering whether you need to worry about this. If your eye/eyepiece are treated as a compound then will the actual image size on the retina be very different from when the eyepiece is used for 'normal vision?

Probably the distortion will only change by couple of percents, but for big fields of view (~90 degree), the distortion is big and need to be compensated by an algorithm, it would be optimal to have quantitative values for out-of-focus distortion so the algorithm can take that in consideration.

chromatic said:
I'm trying to simulate light rays going through an eyepiece to characterize its magnification in function of the distance from the optical axis (image distortion). Attached is a figure showing the simulation console.

Some lenses in the eyepiece are movable to correct for myopia/hypermetropia.

When the object is exactly at the focal point (rays from a single point all exit parallel), magnification is easily calculated from the angle of exiting rays.

HOWEVER, when the lens correct for myopia, the rays exiting from the eyepiece are not parallel, how can I calculate magnification in function of the distance from the optical axis (image distortion) in that case?

Thanks a lot!

Let me make sure I understand the question- you want to calculate the distortion as a function of defocus?

Yes, distortion as a function of defocus, which is the same as magnification as a function of defocus and image height.

I don't think there's a clean analytic expression. There are the 'stop-shift formulas' (for example http://books.google.com/books?id=kS...ge&q="stop shift formulas" distortion&f=false), but I haven't ever used those, and unless you know how much the stop moves to accommodate your defocus requirement, I don't see how it can be easily used.

I wonder if you simply have to grind through the ray-trace code; have it tell you what the distortion is for a variety of defocus layouts and hope you can fit a curve...

Upon re-reading what you originally asked, tho, I wonder if there is a simpler approach. My guess is that you are simply altering the optical power of the eyepiece to account for myopia, so you may be able to create a (reasonably) simple thin lens approximation instead of the detailed lens layout.

Thank you for your replies, I finally got it to work. I ran the simulations with rays coming from infinity instead of rays
exiting from the object (right to left instead of left to right on figure) and I computed the density of intersection points with the object using Gaussian kernel density estimation. I chose to points with maximum density to calculate magnification. To simulate accommodation, I simply use thin lens formulas to find appropriate initial conditions (angle versus position on the pupil).
Cheers
Sim

Last edited:

Related to Angular magnification of an out-of-focus eyepiece

1. What is angular magnification?

Angular magnification refers to the increase in apparent size of an object when viewed through a lens or an optical instrument.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

The angular magnification of an out-of-focus eyepiece can be calculated by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece by the focal length of the objective lens.

3. Why is angular magnification important in microscopy?

Angular magnification is important in microscopy because it allows us to see small objects in greater detail by making them appear larger.

4. What is the difference between angular magnification and linear magnification?

Angular magnification refers to the increase in apparent size, while linear magnification refers to the increase in actual size of an object when viewed through a lens or an optical instrument.

5. Can angular magnification be adjusted?

Yes, angular magnification can be adjusted by changing the distance between the eyepiece and the objective lens, or by using eyepieces with different focal lengths.