Angular Momentum Commutator relation

In summary: So your third line should be$$\begin{eqnarray*}\epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j \right] r_j p_j+ r_j p_j \left[ r_k, r_j p_j \right]p_l\right) & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j \right] r_j p_j+ r_j p_j \left[ r_k, r_j \right]p_j p_l\right) \\& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left(-r_j \left[p_l, p_j \right]\right) r_j
andre220

Homework Statement

Calculate the commutator ##[\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2]##

Homework Equations

##\hat{\vec{L}} = \sum\limits_{a=1}^N \vec{r}_a \times \hat{\vec{p}}##
##[r_i,p_k] = i\hbar\delta_{ik}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so here is what I have so far:

$$
\begin{eqnarray}
[\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2] & = &\left [\epsilon_{ikl}r_k p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] \\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k \left[p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] + \left[r_k, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right]p_l\right)
\end{eqnarray}
$$

My next step is I think would be to expand the summation terms, but I am not quite sure if that would the correct step.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your first relevant equation. What is a ? All I ever learned was ##{\bf L} = {\bf r} \times {\bf p}##.

Although your last step is ingenious, it only seems to make the expression longer. Wouldn't it be easier to make use of the basic commutation relations, such as ##[L_x, y] =[yp_z-zp_y,y]=-z[p_y,y]=i \hbar z## ?

From Landau Liftshitz pg 82 I have that ##-i\hbar \mathbf{r}\times \vec{\nabla} = \mathbf{r}\times\hat{\mathbf{p}}##, my mistake on that first equation I was looking at something else in my notes and confused it. But regardless my thinking with the last step was that I could get it in terms of ##p^2[p,r^2] +[p,p^2]r^2## or more explicitly
$$ \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\sum\limits_j p_j^2\left[p_l,r_j^2\right]+\sum\limits_j\left[r_k,p_j^2\right]r_j^2 p_l\right),$$
but you are correct that it does make it longer. Where are you saying that the expression you wrote should be applied?

I was just giving one example. There's also ##[L_x, p_y]##, ##[L_x, x]##, ##[L_x, p_x]## (latter two are 0).

One more thing: ##(rp)^2 = \sum\limits_j r_j p_j r_j p_j## ; what do you use to be able to write ##(rp)^2 = \sum\limits_j r_j r_j p_j p_j## ? because I seem to remember that ## p_j r_j = r_j p_j - [r_j, p_j] ## ...

Ahh yes you are right that will change things, also I suppose I could just drop the sum altogether since it is implied. That may make it easier to split it up. Ill take a look at it. Thanks for your input.

Okay so I retried it and I have a result, though I am not sure that it is correct here is what I do:

$$
\begin{eqnarray}
[\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2] & = & \left[\epsilon_{ikl} r_k p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right] + \left[ r_k, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]p_l\right)\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j \right] r_j p_j+ r_j p_j \left[ r_k, r_j p_j \right]p_l\right)\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left(-i\hbar p_j\delta_{jl}\right)r_j p_j + r_j p_j\left(i\hbar r_j\delta_{kj}\right) p_l \right) \\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(-i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j + i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j\right) \\
& = & \boxed{ 0 }
\end{eqnarray}
$$

Any flaws in that logic?

Just a detail: you left out the summation

Well, it is strange that it should change anything: ##[r_j, p_j]## is a number, so that should commute with ##L_i##...meaning ##
\left [\epsilon_{ikl}r_k p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] \ ## should come out 0 too, isn't it ?

andre220 said:
Okay so I retried it and I have a result, though I am not sure that it is correct here is what I do:

$$
\begin{eqnarray}
[\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2] & = & \left[\epsilon_{ikl} r_k p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right] + \left[ r_k, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]p_l\right)\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j \right] r_j p_j+ r_j p_j \left[ r_k, r_j p_j \right]p_l\right)\\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left(-i\hbar p_j\delta_{jl}\right)r_j p_j + r_j p_j\left(i\hbar r_j\delta_{kj}\right) p_l \right) \\
& = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(-i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j + i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j\right) \\
& = & \boxed{ 0 }
\end{eqnarray}
$$

Any flaws in that logic?
One has to wrote ## (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p})^2 ## as ## r_j p_j r_a p_a ## i.e. one must use two different sets of indices.
Also, on your third line you left out a couple of terms since, as you know, [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A,B] C.

Related to Angular Momentum Commutator relation

1. What is the Angular Momentum Commutator relation?

The Angular Momentum Commutator relation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the relationship between the two components of angular momentum, namely the orbital angular momentum and the spin angular momentum. It is written as [Lx, Ly] = iħLz, where Lx, Ly, and Lz are the three components of angular momentum and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

2. What does the Angular Momentum Commutator relation tell us?

The Angular Momentum Commutator relation tells us that the order in which we apply the different components of angular momentum does not matter. This is known as the commutative property, and it is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.

3. How is the Angular Momentum Commutator relation derived?

The Angular Momentum Commutator relation can be derived using mathematical techniques in quantum mechanics, such as the canonical commutation relations and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It can also be derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the postulates of quantum mechanics and the Schrödinger equation.

4. What are the applications of the Angular Momentum Commutator relation?

The Angular Momentum Commutator relation is used extensively in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of atoms and molecules. It is also used in the study of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy, which are important techniques in chemistry and biochemistry. Additionally, it is used in the field of quantum computing to develop algorithms and design quantum gates.

5. Is the Angular Momentum Commutator relation applicable to all systems?

The Angular Momentum Commutator relation is applicable to all systems that exhibit quantized angular momentum, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified in various systems. However, it may not be applicable to macroscopic systems, where classical mechanics is a more accurate description of the system's behavior.