Angular momentum for combined rotation and translationa about a fixed point

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem about a marble rolling on a horizontal table. The problem involves finding the relationship between the marble's initial linear and rotational speeds for it to slide to a complete stop. Two solutions are presented, one using conservation of angular momentum and the other using kinetics. The conversation also touches on the concept of the contact point and its role in the problem. Ultimately, both solutions arrive at the same answer of v0=2/5Rw0, with some discussion about the validity of the argument.
Highwaydude
One more serious doubt...
In feynman's tips on physics' problems... there is one regarding marble rolling...
"An amusing trick is to press a finger down on the marble, on a horizontal table, in such a way that he marble is projected along the table with initial linear speed v0 (v-naught) and initial backward rotational speed w0(omega-naught)... w0 being about the horizontal axis perpendicular to v0... the coefficient of sliding friction is constant.. the marble has radius R..
What relationship must hold for the marble to slide to a complete stop?"
Now I have done this using both the conservation of angular momentum about the point touching the ground(since torque due to friction about this point is zero) and the retardation in linear and angular velocity due to friction(in which you get two equations and you have to eliminate t(time) to get the relation)...
The angular momentum about a FIXED POINT O = Lcm + M.R.V0
(where Lcm is ang momentm about the centre of mass about the fixed point O and V is the linear velocity of the CM about O)
So when you do it...
initial angular momentum about the point of sphere touching the ground= -(2/5). MR^2.(w0)+MR.v0
Final ang momentum= 0
therefore equating them v0=2/5 w0(which is the required relation)

BUT THE POINT TOUCHING THE GROUND IS MOVING AND EVEN THE LINEAR VELOCITY OF THE CM IS NOT V0 ABOUT THAT POINT... ITS (V0-W0.R)...(however, the relative angular velocity of CM about the ground point IS -w0)... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS LONG STANDING DOUBT IN MY MIND ... :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Highwaydude said:
v0=2/5 w0(which is the required relation)
I think it's v0=2/5 R w0. I found two solutions for this:

1)
http://www.feynmanlectures.info/solutions/shooting_marbles_sol_1.pdf
When the marble slides to a complete stop, its angular momentum is zero. As the external
force, force of kinetic friction, acts horizontally through the point of contact so angular
momentum about the starting point is conserved.
Initial angular momentum, about the
starting point, by virtue of translation of centre of mass is MV0R clockwise and by virtue of
rotation of all the particles of marble about c.m. is Icmω0 anti clockwise where Icm = 2MR
2/5, is the moment of inertia of the spherical marble about its c.m. Hence initial total angular
momentum is Icmω0 - MV0R. As angular momentum is conserved so Icmω0 - MV0R = 0, or,
V0 = 2ω0R/5.

Note that he considers conservation of angular momentum about the static starting contact point, not the moving contact point. This seemed to be the source of your confusion.

2)
http://www.feynmanlectures.info/solutions/shooting_marbles_sol_2.pdf
The kinetic force of friction, fk = µMg, acting horizontally leftward through the point of contact produces leftward translational acceleration µg [Force / mass] and rotational anticlockwise acceleration, α = 5 µg / 2R [torque / Icm] .

If the marble comes to a stop after time t, then V0 = µgt [since, v = u + at] and ω0 = αt [since, ω = ω0 + αt]. Eliminating t, we get V0 = 2 ω0R/5.

My naive solution : The same force applied over the same time cancels both momentums. I simply consider the change of L about the centre of mass, and don't care that the CM is moving.

F = const
F t = p0
F R t = L0

p0 R = L0
M v0 R = 2/5 M R2 ω0
v0 = 2/5 R ω0

Is my argument valid? If not why do I get the same answer?

I too was speculating about the contact point being the ground and not the point of the sphere touching the ground... and on imagining the fact that even if the sphere rolls a bit forward, the torque due to friction remains zero since the line of force intersects the point...so yeah, makes sense.

I think your argument is very correct by the way...
The force acting on the sphere changes the angular momentum about the CM by -Ft.R and this must cancel out the initial angular momentum i.e 2/5 MR^2. w0... (about the CM of course) and also cancel the initial linear momentum over time t.

Anyways thanks... :smile:

Last edited:

FAQ: Angular momentum for combined rotation and translationa about a fixed point

What is Angular Momentum for Combined Rotation and Translation about a Fixed Point?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating or translating object that describes its rotational and translational motion about a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that represents the product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is Angular Momentum Calculated for Combined Rotation and Translation about a Fixed Point?

The formula for calculating angular momentum for combined rotation and translation is L = Iω + mv, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular velocity, and mv is the linear momentum. This formula takes into account both the object's rotational and translational motion about a fixed point.

What is the Difference Between Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they describe different types of motion. Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of its translational motion. Angular momentum is a vector quantity, while linear momentum is a scalar quantity.

How Does Angular Momentum Change in the Absence of an External Torque?

In the absence of an external torque, the angular momentum of an object will remain constant. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. This means that if no external forces act on an object, its angular momentum will remain the same, even if it is rotating and translating about a fixed point.

What is the Relationship Between Angular Momentum and Moment of Inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly related to the object's angular momentum, as seen in the formula L = Iω. A higher moment of inertia means that it will take more effort to change the angular momentum of an object, making it more stable in its rotation and translation about a fixed point.

Back