Angular momentum of galaxy disks

In summary, the paper discusses how recent simulations show that the accepted model of dissipational collapse for the formation of galaxy disks, leads to an excessive loss of angular momentum in the disk when mergers are considered. The current hypothesis to solve this problem is to consider stellar evolution.
hellfire
Science Advisor
As you can read in http://pinot.phys.uvic.ca/~jfn/mywebpage/gxform.html, recent simulations show that the accepted model of dissipational collapse for the formation of galaxy disks, leads to an excessive loss of angular momentum in the disk when mergers are considered. What are the current hypothesis to solve this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is one of the stronger arguments for MOND which naturally predicts the observed result.

I have no idea whether it's totally dead, or merely dormant, but Peratt (he of 'plasma cosmology' fame) made a big song and dance back in the (19)80s about Birkeland currents etc, and somehow managed to get humungeous amounts of (then) supercomputer time to do similations (of spiral galaxies?), leading to some (to me) handwaving about pattern similarity ... whether anyone followed up with more focussed (from my POV, of course) similations, I have no idea!

That result does not appear to have yet been published. Perhaps it is a work in progress. There are a number of different approaches to disk formation. None are entirely satisfactory. Galactic evolution is a very complicated field of study and observational data has not beem of the quality and quantity needed to crack the case. We are, however, making good strides. Anyways, here is a very recent paper addressing the issue of disk formation and angular momentum:

A Merger-Driven Scenario for Cosmological Disk Galaxy Formation
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0503369

I took a look to the original paper of Navarro and White written in 1993 and the simulations were done without taking into account the stellar evolution, i.e. energy injection due to stellar winds and supernovae. They seam to call this problem „overcooling”: most of the baryonic matter should collapse into very dense cores. Stellar winds and supernovae could heat the gas avoiding this early and efficient collapse. The problem seams to be related to the fact that the efficiency of galaxy formation was actually low and that there are lots of baryons in the intergalactic medium. If stellar winds and supernovae were indeed the reasons to avoid overcooling and loss of angular momentum, then the IGM should have a considerable metalicity. Is this understanding correct?

FAQ: Angular momentum of galaxy disks

1. What is angular momentum of galaxy disks?

Angular momentum of galaxy disks refers to the measure of the rotational motion of a galaxy's disk around its center of mass. It is a fundamental property of galaxies that determines their stability and shape.

2. How is angular momentum of galaxy disks calculated?

Angular momentum of galaxy disks is calculated by multiplying the mass of the galaxy by the velocity of its rotation and the distance from its center of mass. This calculation takes into account both the speed and the radius of rotation, and is usually measured in units of angular momentum per unit mass (such as meters squared per second).

3. Why is angular momentum of galaxy disks important?

Angular momentum of galaxy disks plays a crucial role in understanding the evolution and dynamics of galaxies. It helps determine the overall shape and stability of galaxies, as well as their interactions with other galaxies and dark matter. It also provides insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies over time.

4. How does angular momentum of galaxy disks affect star formation?

The angular momentum of a galaxy's disk is closely related to the rate of star formation. It is believed that the higher the angular momentum, the longer it takes for gas and dust in the galaxy's disk to collapse and form stars. This is because higher angular momentum leads to more stable disk structures, which can delay the collapse of material and the formation of stars.

5. Can angular momentum of galaxy disks change over time?

Yes, the angular momentum of galaxy disks can change over time due to various factors such as mergers with other galaxies, interactions with dark matter, and interactions with the intergalactic medium. These changes can alter the shape, stability, and star formation rate of galaxies, making the study of angular momentum crucial in understanding the evolution of galaxies.

Back