Angular momentum of the earth's orbit

In summary, we discussed the concept of angular momentum and how it is calculated using rotational inertia and rotational velocity. We then applied this concept to find the angular momentum of the Earth and Moon as they orbit around each other. The Earth's angular momentum around the Sun is approximately 1.35x10^47 kg-m^2/rad/sec while the Moon's angular momentum around the Earth is approximately 1.09x10^40 kg-m^2/rad/sec. We also calculated the angular velocities of the Earth and Moon in radians/sec.
aneima6
i need help on this.

how much greater is the angular momentum of the Earth orbiting about the sun than the moon orbiting about the earth? (using a ratio of angular momenta)

angular momentum = rotational inertia x rotational velocity

radius of Earth (equatorial) 6.37x10^6
radius of Earth's orbit 1.5x10^11
radius of moon (average) 1.74x10^6
radius of moon orbit 3.84x10^8

mass of Earth 5.98x10^24
mass of moon 7.36x10^22

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aneima6 said:
angular momentum = rotational inertia x rotational velocity
Nothing wrong with that. (I assume by "rotational velocity" you mean the angular velocity.) But what is the rotational inertia of a mass m which is at a distance r from the axis of rotation? (Look up the definition of rotational inertia, if you need to.) And you'll have to figure out the angular velocity of each.

ok i get Rotational Inertia: I=(2/5)(m)(r^2)

Earth
I=(.4)(5.98x10^24)((6.37x10^6)^2)
I=9.71x10^37

Moon
I=(.4)(7.36x10^34)((1.74x10^6)^2)
I=8.91x10^34

aneima6 said:
ok i get Rotational Inertia: I=(2/5)(m)(r^2)
That formula gives you the rotational inertia of a solid ball about an axis. But that's not what you need here, since you are not asked to calculate the angular momentum of the Earth or Moon rotating on their axes. Instead you need to find the rotational inertia of Earth as it orbits the Sun, and the Moon as it orbits the Earth.

I assume you may treat the Earth and Moon as point masses (thus ignoring their rotation). Hint: The rotational inertia of a mass m which is at a distance r from the axis of rotation is [itex]I = mr^2[/itex]. (The axis of rotation of the Earth orbiting the Sun is the Sun; the distance from the axis is the Earth's distance from the Sun; the mass is the mass of the Earth.)

Earth Sun:
(5.98x10^24)((1.5x10^11)^2)
= 1.35x10^47

Earth Moon:
(7.36x10^24)((3.84x10^8)^2)
=1.09x10^40

so far so good?

Right. You've found the rotation inertias in units of kg-m^2.

thanks for the help.

is this rotational velocity?

earth sun
360 degrees = 6.28318531 radians
365 days or 31536000 seconds
6.28318531 radians/31536000 seconds
1.99x10^-7 rad/sec

earth moon
360 degrees = 6.28318531 radians
27.3 days or 2358720 seconds
6.28318531 radians/2358720 seconds
2.66x10^-6 rad/sec

Last edited:
Those are the angular velocities. Don't forget units: radians/sec.

thanks. yea i just fixed it

FAQ: Angular momentum of the earth's orbit

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point (known as the moment of inertia).

2. How is the angular momentum of the Earth's orbit calculated?

The angular momentum of the Earth's orbit is calculated using the formula L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the Earth, v is the velocity of the Earth, and r is the distance from the Earth to the Sun.

3. Why is the angular momentum of the Earth's orbit important?

The angular momentum of the Earth's orbit is important because it helps to maintain the Earth's orbit around the Sun. It also plays a role in the Earth's rotation and tilt, which are crucial for our planet's climate and seasons.

4. Does the angular momentum of the Earth's orbit change over time?

Yes, the angular momentum of the Earth's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets, changes in the Earth's mass, and changes in the Earth's axial tilt.

5. How does the angular momentum of the Earth's orbit affect our daily lives?

The angular momentum of the Earth's orbit affects our daily lives in many ways. It helps to regulate our planet's climate and seasons, which impact agriculture and our daily activities. It also affects the tides, which can impact coastal communities and marine life. Additionally, the Earth's orbit plays a role in the length of our days and the position of the stars in the sky.

Back