Angular momentum polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the operator for the z component of angular momentum in polar coordinates using the cartesian definition. The final result is L_z = -ih(d/dθ), which involves transforming from one basis to another using the identity \frac{∂}{∂θ} = \frac{∂x}{∂θ}\frac{∂}{∂x} + \frac{∂y}{∂θ}\frac{∂}{∂y}.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

from the cartesian definition of angular momentum, derive the operator for the z component in polar coordinates

L_z = -ih[x(d/dy) - y(d/dx)]

to

L_z = -ih(d/dθ)

Homework Equations

x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

r = (x^2 + y^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all I'm not sure how this is even possible. Every derivation of the angular momentum operator I've seen requires spherical coordinates, not polar.

I tried taking the derivative of r with respect to x to get cosθ and with respect to y to get sinθ

and dx/dθ = -rsinθ dy/dθ = rcosθ but it's not getting me anywhere.

is there something i should be rewriting d/dx and d/dy as?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are transforming from one basis to another, you can use the identity (written for your particular case):

[itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{∂x}{∂θ}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂θ}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex].

Does that help?

Related to Angular momentum polar coordinates

1. What is angular momentum in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle or system of particles around a fixed point. It takes into account both the velocity and the distance of the particles from the central point.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is calculated using the formula L = mr^2ω, where m is the mass of the particle, r is the distance from the central point, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and linear momentum in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, angular momentum and linear momentum are related by the equation L = rp, where p is the linear momentum and r is the distance from the central point. This means that an increase in linear momentum will result in an increase in angular momentum.

4. How does the direction of angular momentum change in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the direction of angular momentum is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation. This means that as the particle or system rotates, the direction of its angular momentum will also change.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the motion of objects in circular orbits, the rotation of celestial bodies, and the stability of spinning objects such as gyroscopes.