Angular momentum: rotating ice skaters

In summary: The radial force acting on each skater is inwards, so that makes ##F(r)## negative. But, integrating ##\frac{1}{r^3}## generates another negative sign, so the work done on the skater is positive and their speed...
Cepterus

Homework Statement

Two ice skaters of mass ##m = 50\,\mathrm{kg}## each are moving towards each other frictionless on parallel paths with a distance of ##3\,\mathrm{m}##. They both have a velocity of ##v_o=10\,\frac{\mathrm m}{\mathrm s}##.
Skater 1 is holding a massless rod of length ##3\,\mathrm{m}## at one end perpendicular to his direction of movement. Skater 2 grabs the other end of the rod when the two have minimal distance of each other (again, ##3\,\mathrm{m}##). (At this point, they should start rotating.) Both skaters now pull themselves along the rod until their distance from each other is ##1\,\rm m##.
Hereafter, they both let go of the rod.

Compare the kinetic energies of the system before and after the encounter of the two skaters.
Prove that the difference is equal to the work the two have to perform while shifting towards each other.

Homework Equations

Angular momentum: ##L = rp=rmv## (only in this case, because ##r\perp v##)
Kinetic energy: ##E_{\rm{kin}}=\frac12mv^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

The angular momentum when the two start rotating is ##L=r(2m)v_0=1.5m\cdot(50kg\cdot2)\cdot10\frac ms=1500kg\frac m{s^2}##, and we now that ##L## is conserved. So let us call the skaters' velocities immediately before letting go of the rod ##v'## and the new (smaller) radius of their rotation ##r'##. This means $$r(2m)v=r'(2m)v'\Rightarrow v'=\frac{r}{r'}v=\frac{1.5m}{0.5m}\cdot10\frac ms=30\frac ms .$$
Calculating the kinetic energies before and after gives us a difference of ##\Delta E_{\rm{kin}}=40000J##, if I am not mistaken. But how should I proceed from here? I have no idea on how to calculate the work performed by the two ice skaters as I do not know the corresponding force with which I could calculate ##W=Fs=F(r-r')##.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know the force. Just as you know the force required to move up in a gravitational field...

Orodruin said:
You do know the force. Just as you know the force required to move up in a gravitational field...
The centripetal/centrifugal force? If so, the force is obviously not constant over the whole way (unlike the gravitational force). How would I calculate the work then?

Are you familiar with integrals?

Oh, right. Would it be something like $$W=\int_{1.5m}^{0.5m} \frac{mv^2}{r}\rm dr$$ then?
So I guess I have to substitute ##v## (which depends on ##r##) by ##\frac{L}{rm}##, right?

Cepterus said:
Oh, right. Would it be something like $$W=\int_{1.5m}^{0.5m} \frac{mv^2}{r}\rm dr$$ then?
So I guess I have to substitute ##v## (which depends on ##r##) by ##\frac{L}{rm}##, right?

Yes. One suggestion is to use ##r_0, r_1##, ##v_0, v_1## for the start and end radii and velocities and use ##v(r), F(r)## for the velocity and force at a variable radius ##r## over which you are integrating.

It worked out fine.

Thanks to both of you!

Cepterus said:
It worked out fine.

Thanks to both of you!

Your work in post #1 was very good, but it might be even better to keep things algebraic a bit longer. For example, with ##r_1 = \frac{r_0}{3}## you have for each skater:

##L = mv_0r_0 = mv_1r_1 = mv_1 \frac{r_0}{3}##

##v_1 = 3v_0##

##\Delta KE = \frac12 m(v_1^2 - v_0^2) = \frac12 m(9v_0^2 - v_0^2) = 4mv_0^2##

And, then you can put in the numbers. I think you see a lot more of the physics this way.

Note that it didn't actual matter that it was ##3m## and ##1m##. Only the ratio.

Okay, that makes sense and I will try to think of it in the future.
I just have one last question: When calculating the work, we get an integral of the form $$ W=c\int_{r_0}^{r_1}\frac1{r^3}\rm d r$$ where ##c## is a positive constant. This would mean that the work is negative because the integral is. How does that make sense, or does the sign have no meaning at all?

It does, the force required to pull in is in the negative radial direction so ##c## is a negative constant.

Cepterus said:
Okay, that makes sense and I will try to think of it in the future.
I just have one last question: When calculating the work, we get an integral of the form $$ W=c\int_{r_0}^{r_1}\frac1{r^3}\rm d r$$ where ##c## is a positive constant. This would mean that the work is negative because the integral is. How does that make sense, or does the sign have no meaning at all?

The radial force acting on each skater is inwards, so that makes ##F(r)## negative. But, integrating ##\frac{1}{r^3}## generates another negative sign, so the work done on the skater is positive and their speed increases.

Orodruin said:
It does, the force required to pull in is in the negative radial direction so ##c## is a negative constant.
By substituting ##v(r)## by ##\frac L{rm}## and ##L## by ##r_0mv_0## I get ##c=mr_0^2v_0^2##, which cannot be negative.
Or do you mean ##F(r)## should be ##-\frac {mv^2}r## in the first place? Why?

Cepterus said:
By substituting ##v(r)## by ##\frac L{rm}## and ##L## by ##r_0mv_0## I get ##c=mr_0^2v_0^2##, which cannot be negative.
Or do you mean ##F(r)## should be ##-\frac {mv^2}r## in the first place? Why?

Because ##\vec{dr}## is outwards, so outwards is positive.

PeroK said:
Because ##\vec{dr}## is outwards
And that is the case because increasing ##r## means moving away from the center?

Cepterus said:
And that is the case because increasing ##r## means moving away from the center?

Yes.

Likes Cepterus

Related to Angular momentum: rotating ice skaters

1. What is angular momentum and how does it relate to rotating ice skaters?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In the case of rotating ice skaters, their angular momentum is conserved as they spin due to the conservation of angular momentum law.

2. Why does an ice skater spin faster when they pull their arms in?

When an ice skater pulls their arms in, they decrease their moment of inertia, which is the resistance to rotation. This decrease in moment of inertia causes their angular velocity to increase in order to conserve their angular momentum. This leads to a faster spin.

3. Why does an ice skater slow down when they extend their arms out?

Extending their arms out increases the ice skater's moment of inertia, making it more difficult for them to rotate. To conserve angular momentum, their angular velocity decreases, resulting in a slower spin.

4. Can an ice skater change their angular momentum while spinning?

No, an ice skater cannot change their angular momentum while spinning. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum law, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. The ice skater is a closed system in this scenario so their angular momentum cannot be altered.

5. How does friction affect the angular momentum of a rotating ice skater?

Friction can have a small effect on the angular momentum of a rotating ice skater. Frictional forces can cause a slight decrease in angular velocity, which leads to a decrease in angular momentum. However, the overall effect of friction on the angular momentum of a rotating ice skater is minimal.