Angular momentum with mass flow

In summary, the problem involves two rotating drums with different masses and radii, connected on the same axis. A layer of sand is added to the smaller drum and is released through perforations, sticking to the outer drum. The goal is to find the subsequent angular velocities of the two drums, but the attempt at using conservation of angular momentum has been unsuccessful. The poster is seeking assistance in finding a solution using either conservation of energy or the momentum of the sand.
benf.stokes

Homework Statement

A drum of mass [tex]M_a[/tex] and radius a rotates freely with initial angular velocity [tex]\omega_a(0)[/tex]. A second drum with mass [tex]M_b[/tex] and radius b >a is mounted on the same axis and is at rest, although it is free to rotate.
A thin layer of sand with mass [tex]M_s[/tex] is distributed on the inner surface of the smaller drum. At t=0, small perforations in the inner drum are opened. The sand starts to fly out at a constante rate [tex]\lambda[/tex] and sticks to the outer drum. Find the subsequent angular velocities of the two drums [tex]\omega_a[/tex] and [tex]\omega_b[/tex]. Ignore the transit time of the sand

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to use conservation of angular momentum for the whole system but that got me nowhere because I need a second equation to solve for the angular velocities. I'm not sure you can use conservation of energy in this case, so I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been trying to find a way to use the momentum of the sand but I'm not sure how to.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FAQ: Angular momentum with mass flow

What is angular momentum with mass flow?

Angular momentum with mass flow is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system that is caused by the transfer of mass through the system. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

How is angular momentum with mass flow calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum with mass flow is L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

What is the significance of angular momentum with mass flow in physics?

Angular momentum with mass flow plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as the motion of planets and satellites in space, the rotation of turbines in fluid mechanics, and the behavior of gyroscopes. It is also an important concept in the study of rotational motion and conservation of energy.

How does angular momentum with mass flow differ from linear momentum?

Angular momentum with mass flow is a rotational version of linear momentum, which describes the motion of an object in a straight line. While linear momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity, angular momentum is also affected by the distance from the axis of rotation. In other words, an object with a higher mass or velocity will have a greater linear momentum, but an object with a larger distance from the axis of rotation will have a greater angular momentum.

Can angular momentum with mass flow be conserved in all systems?

No, angular momentum with mass flow can only be conserved in a closed system where there is no external torque acting on the system. If there is an external torque, then the total angular momentum of the system will change over time. However, in most practical situations, the external torque is negligible, and angular momentum with mass flow can be considered conserved.

Back